The Orville

TrekMD

Okay, I admit it, I'm getting older and simply cannot keep up with all the stuff out there in the Internet Wasteland.  However today, I came across something that has been out for a number of years called The Orville.  If you've seen it, can you give me a little perspective on the series?  Is it any good?

My first impressions after watching a trailer were, the colors were turned up too much, the makeup was overdone, the show didn't seem serious, more of a parody.  Now that was from one trailer, so I figured I'd ask.  

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

I don't know a lot either.  I think @TrekMDmentioned in one of the other Star Trek threads that it's worthwhile.  I don't remember the details, but I think he said there's a point in the series where it gets really good. 

When the show was new, I watched two episodes and quit, as I thought it was too silly.  But at some point, I plan on trying again.  Sounds like it took them a little while to find their groove.  Kind of like how Star Trek:TNG was awful in season 1. 

You need to keep watching.  The show changes and the humor is toned down quite a bit.  The third season opener episode was actually quite serious and more like Star Trek.  I almost stopped watching myself early on but pushed on and the show finally grabbed me.

Edited by TrekMD

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

6 minutes ago, RickR said:

I had the same issue with "Lower Decks", and I'm told that one also grows on you (but I don't think they toned down the humor).  I started and quit after two episodes.

Really?  Oh, that is another show you need to stick with.  Most everyone loves it.  And there is one surprise at the end of season one that I think you'll enjoy.

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

"Now Entering Glory Hole...."
I love this show. The two episodes involving Topa in season 3 are fantastic. Explaining what happened with the Kylon I like. Not going to give too much away. I also liked the episode when they went down to the planet and bizarre stuff starts happening.