Squad Challenge - Crystal Castles (MAME)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Crystal Castles
MAME
Controller: TRAK-BALL / JOYSTICK / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty: Default (Start at Level 1)
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST May 31st, 2022
Nominated by @Justin

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between May 15th and May 31st, 2022. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

We are playing Crystal Castles on the Default settings, starting the game at Level 1. You may use settings for any controller setup of your choosing, including Trak-Ball, Joystick, Keyboard and others. You will begin the game with a total of 3 lives (with your two additional lives displayed on the bottom left corner of the screen as two bears). Any remaining dip switch settings will be set to the default settings. Rewinds and ROM hacks are not allowed, however you are free to use your own cunning skill to find warps and other tips and tricks to help you win at Crystal Castles.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 124th Squad Challenge!  For this challenge we're firing up MAME and jumping into one of my favorite Atari arcade games of all time, Crystal Castles! Crystal Castles was released in arcades by Atari in 1983 and was memorable for its use of the Trak-Ball for navigating Bentley Bear through a 3-Dimensional maze world collecting gems. As this is a MAME game, it will be up to you to source the ROM and if you run into trouble I'm sure the community can help you out. Instructions should be obvious, Crystal Castles is basically 3-D Pac-Man. This should be an awesome game, when you're doing Crystal it feels amazing and it's like there's nobody else alive but you. I hope you all have fun, and good luck to everybody playing!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

I'll miss this one as I haven't played MAME in years. (The sad irony is that I used to play MAME on my Mac, but I totally forgot how to boot it up LOL!)

Anyway, good luck to everyone! Crystal Castles is a fun game with good replay value.

Oh, and the video DOES contain the Level 5 warp! (It's around the 2:25 mark) Interesting that it was accomplished without the magic hat; I always thought it was required.

Edited by Marco1019
I watched the YT clip & spotted the Lvl 5 warp

12 minutes ago, RickR said:

I assume you mean load Windows or Linux on the VCS?  That is probably above my pay grade. 

Yes, that's what I've been using for emulation lately. If you have a fast USB thumbstick (3.1 min) with enough memory, it works great and is easy to get going. Between that, AtariOS and the various game streaming services, VCS is pretty flexible.

Here's the link to creating a thumbstick.

3 hours ago, RickR said:

I've been thinking about it, but I'm not sure I want a keyboard/mouse in my living room.  Is there an alternative?  Like a virtual keyboard or something?

When you're in AtariOS, you can use the Atari VCS Companion app to use Chrome, Google docs and launch various streaming apps. This is a virtual keyboard and mouse.

In PC-Mode under Linux or Windows, you'd need a Bluetooth mini keyboard with touch pad.

On 5/17/2022 at 4:38 PM, RickR said:

OK, I've got it working on both the VCS and MAME.  I like the MAME version a little better because I can use a mouse, which is an "okay" substitute for the trackball.

First score is 15,669

cc 002.JPG

I've used a Genesis d-pad when playing the C64 version. Perhaps there's a similar controller you can use? It's not a trackball, of course, but I found it to be a decent substitute.

4 hours ago, Marco1019 said:

I've used a Genesis d-pad when playing the C64 version. Perhaps there's a similar controller you can use? It's not a trackball, of course, but I found it to be a decent substitute.

You can map VCS Vault controls to either the analog thumbsticks or d-pad on the Modern Controller (or third party gamepad). Or use the joystick.

2 hours ago, E. King said:

Just realized this is a Mame challenge.

I thought it was VCS so I won't be participating but it is a great game.

Strange that I think only the 1st secret on the 1st level seems to work in the VCS Vault version.

I can't get the 3rd level secret to work on VCS.

You can play Crystal Castles on the VCS as long as it's the arcade version with the default settings.

I'll have to try the secrets. That is strange.