Recharged Squad Challenge 004 - Asteroids: Recharged

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Asteroids: Recharged
Atari VCS
Controller: MODERN / CLASSIC /
PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: ARCADE MODE
Play on: Real Hardware ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST June 30, 2022

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between June 1st through June 30, 2022.  Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

This is a Club VCS Exclusive Challenge. All Club VCS players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real Atari VCS hardware. Choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

We are playing Asteroids: Recharged in the "Arcade Mode". You have a single life to thrust, shoot, and warp your way to the highest score possible!

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our fourth Club VCS Recharged Squad Challenge!!! For this challenge we're playing Asteroids: Recharged!

Asteroids: Recharged is a modern take on Ed Logg's seminal 1979 arcade space shooter. Like all games in Atari's recent "Recharged" series, it includes a neon vector-like graphic aesthetic and more modern gaming elements like power-ups, leaderboards, challenges, achievements and more.  With the 10 exclusive challenges and multiple control options, the VCS version is an easy recommendation for fans of the original game.  The overall design of the game - both aesthetically and in terms of gameplay - honors its arcade inspiration.  Simply put, if you like Asteroids, you should enjoy Asteroids: Recharged. 

Club VCS Recharged Squad Contest

We are celebrating the launch of Club VCS and the Recharged Squad Challenge with a contest!

From March to July we will be playing other Recharged titles.  After the last game, we will hold a drawing for the winner's choice of one (1) Atari VCS Modern Controller or (1) VCS Classic Joystick Controller!

All challenge participants will receive one (1) entry for each challenge in which they submit a valid score!

The top scorer of each challenge will receive three (3) additional entries - for a total of four (4) entries in a single challenge!

In addition, the top scorer in each of our first five (5) Recharged Squad Challenges will get a ClubVCS button pack celebrating Atari's Recharged series!

This contest is open to everybody, including Atari I/O Moderators, with a U.S. or Canada mailing address. It's really easy, all you have to do is participate be a Club VCS member and participate in our Recharged Squad Challenges.

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Edited by Sabertooth

37 minutes ago, RickR said:

YES!  I will attempt to purchase this one on VCS and will ask for help if I need it.  My tech support (children) are all moved out! 

the biggest challenge in this game seems to be the UFO ships that come from the left side of the screen and shoot at you so keep your eye on the left side and try to shoot them before they shoot you

1 hour ago, RickR said:

OK, the game has been purchased.  Looks really fun.  Now my first question:  Is there any way to set the controls to be like the 2600 version using the "classic" controller where "up" is thrust?

This is what I would have preferred and is how (the excellent) Thrustlander is oriented. That said, you pretty quickly get used to using the second button for thrust. The only issue is the warp is hard to reach. But that's a hail Mary anyway. 😀

35 minutes ago, Stlrs95 said:

Wow, did they up the difficulty this afternoon?  I’m getting 3 - 4 ships on the screen at around 2-3k.  I don’t recall that last night.

There does seem to be a randomness to it, but 3-4 at once can happen.  You notice how sometimes there are ships stuck in rocks that come alive when you shoot the rock? 

3 hours ago, RickR said:

There does seem to be a randomness to it, but 3-4 at once can happen.  You notice how sometimes there are ships stuck in rocks that come alive when you shoot the rock? 

Yeah, when the level changes to green, around 8 k or so, there is a fleet of several that appear.

I like the ship embedded in the asteroids. As long as you hit the ship it will explode. If you miss it and hit the rock only, it will free the ship to attack you.

Edited by Sabertooth