Squad Challenge - 2022 Pole Position II Grand Prix (Atari 7800)

Justin

3 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

Right?! Love the metalheads at the arcade and Rob Halford being superimposed on Pole Position.

I know some people might not have liked it but the atmosphere that the 1980s had was unique.  It had a class of its own.  I know not everything in that era was good but what was good created unforgettable memories. At least for me it did.  Jukeboxes crankin' out latest radio hits while sounds of arcade games, pinball machines, and pool tables filling a room was something you had to be there to appreciate today. 

Hmmm...maybe I ought to spin my Poison album while playing PPII on the 7800.  Maybe that's the trick to a better score.

1 minute ago, Marco1019 said:

I didn't think I'd reach 74K, but the key was not crashing. I learned from last year's Grand Prix that it's better to hit the side of the road because you will not lose as much time as crashing.

The RNG on the puddles, though lol.

I usually do not crash, but I have two main issues that I think are holding me back:

1. I let off the gas for a second of so while going around that one sharp left turn.
  2. Sometimes in the heat of maneuvering around traffic, I accidentally shift into low.  I sure wish they had chosen a button to shift instead of up. 

2 hours ago, RickR said:

I usually do not crash, but I have two main issues that I think are holding me back:

1. I let off the gas for a second of so while going around that one sharp left turn.
  2. Sometimes in the heat of maneuvering around traffic, I accidentally shift into low.  I sure wish they had chosen a button to shift instead of up. 

1 - I will keep the gas floored & hit the left side of the track right as I'm hitting the turn (provided there's no traffic). I'll sometimes hit the right side of the track but I'll come out of that turn at 210-220 mph.

2 - This has also occurred on a few of my runs. It's really annoying.

1 minute ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Congrats on the new score.and pretzel!  I hope it's one of those super pretzels.

As for me, my 7800 is down and I'm going to try to do my own AV mod on it to see if it fixes my issue.

Thank you! I haven't had one of those super pretzels in years...

So your 7800 doesn't turn on at all??

It turns on fine.  But if you look at the first score I posted, and concentrate on the finish line to the right, you'll see the strong artifact I'm getting.  It sometimes makes the screen roll or flicker.  Channel 2 is not as bad but that issue is still present and has made some games unplayable.  The same thing happens with 2600 games.  It only seems to do it where high intensity colors are displayed.  I've ruled out TIA and MARIA.  With there being a slight difference between the channels selected I'm thinking RF modulator.

Hold my beer until I return. 😉