Your modified, pre 1990 retro computer setup (any brand with photos).

- Ω -

I wasn't exactly sure where to put thread, so here it is...

We all have our different "favorite" retro-computer setups.  Some focus on Atari, others on Commodores, Apples, Sinclair's, TI's, Tandy's, well you know there were a ton of them back then.  Anyway, it got me thinking, many of us have tricked them out and modernized them over the decades.  So...

#1 What is your favorite retro computer setup, you know, the one you have invested the most time, effort and money into.

#2 What have you done to it that has made it much better than originally designed or intended, and what can it do now, that it could not back then.

#3 If you want, list all the modifications and upgrades you've done to your favorite prized system.

#4 This one is a must, include a photo of your prized system.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

Unfortunately I have not modernized any of my machines be it console or classic computer.  I prefer to keep them as original as possible.  The only two things I have modern to help enhance my systems, or one of them, are a SIO2PC dongle and a SIO2SD device.  I use both to play software I can't get otherwise.  It gives me a good way to try games and make a list.of what ones I like just in case I come across them in the real world.  That way I have a collection I know I will play verses one that I won't touch.

I haven't modded my Apple II with anything much beyond what was available back in the day.

The only modern stuffage I use is all socketed and simply plugs into slots. A more modern memory card of the same capacity used back in the day, just low-power & low-parts-count. I have a VGA output daughtercard that plugs into the RamWorks III and IV memory card. And I use modern flash storage solutions, which aren't any different than a vintage 10MB HDD from back then. Just more capacious. And one solution plugs into the actual Disk II controller card for even more authenticity.

I don't do accelerators beyond 3 or 4 MHz, if/when I do them at all. And I definitely don't do graphics chips or super sound boards or arcade sprite boards. I also don't do ethernet. I figure if I want speed I can have a 1GHz 6502 via an emulator on an i9. That gives me 10x machine language speed in Applesoft BASIC. I figure if I want connectivity I'll just use a modern PC with all the creature comforts of a modern browser like Firefox.

Another thing is hardware which enhances sound and graphics usually doesn't have widespread software support. Only a few titles tend to take advantage of such things.

I'm not a purist and do not require things be exactly like they were in the halcyon days of the 70's and 80's. I just believe that equipping a vintage system with too much modern tech takes away the flavor and essence of machine. It becomes less nostalgic. The very things that made it so advanced back then and so endearing today suddenly go missing when you mod too much. I mean after all that's why we do this hobby, for enjoyment of 45 year old rigs as they were.

On 6/8/2022 at 3:31 PM, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Unfortunately I have not modernized any of my machines be it console or classic computer.  I prefer to keep them as original as possible.  The only two things I have modern to help enhance my systems, or one of them, are a SIO2PC dongle and a SIO2SD device.  I use both to play software I can't get otherwise.  It gives me a good way to try games and make a list.of what ones I like just in case I come across them in the real world.  That way I have a collection I know I will play verses one that I won't touch.

Im quoting myself because in order to get my 7800 back to working order I have to perform an AV mod on it.  So I do own one piece of modified hardware just not a computer in the modern sense.