nosweargamer

The Atari Jaguar Game by Game Podcast

Cool.  I meant to send feedback but I've been so freaking busy.  I'll just add Theme Park to my next email.  I already wrote part of the feedback for Supercross 3D.  I think you're going to enjoy reading it, Shinto.  I did something different with it.  :)

There is not much to say about Theme Park on the Jaguar. It’s a decent port of the game and is a lot of fun if micromanaging every aspect of an amusement park is your idea of a good time. Things like hiring (and firing) staff, setting prices, reordering supplies, conducting R&D to open new shops and rides, labor negotiations and auctioning off your park is oddly compelling.  While the control scheme is complicated with several menus and icons, it’s not too cumbersome once you learn the ropes.  The “assistant” does a good job of showing the basics to a “new” player and the manual fills in the blanks nicely.  I also like the ability to speed up the passage of time so you can accelerate the evolution of your park - though this can make other elements of park management a little trickier. Graphics are cheerful and bright, and the music and sounds are well suited to the game's "theme." Sounds great, right? 

Unfortunately, the game’s “save feature” leaves much to be desired.  The game only saves your dollars and not your park.  It can take a lot of time to build a really special park so the inability to save and resume that park is a major let down.  To add insult to injury, a supposedly enhanced save is even advertised on the back of the box which boasts that "Battery backup lets you save all your developments."  For me, the lack of a meaningful save feature keeps this otherwise "Solid"  game firmly in “Meh” territory.

Edited by atarilbc

After a lengthy build time, the gates to the Atari Jaguar Game by Game Podcast episode on Theme Park are open!  Inside, you'll find, surprisingly, the longest episode to date.  And despite the Park Advisor's objections, admission is free!

Coming up in the next episode we'll be covering fan favorite racing game Super Burnout.  Please post any opinions, reviews, or feedback here, in a PM, or sent (as text or audio file) to jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com.

Thanks!

Hi Shinto, 

I reviewed Super Burnout in a Member Blog post here at Atari.io some time ago. Here are my thoughts from that post.

"Super Burnout is a solid if somewhat shallow racer. The game looks good, sounds good and controls well but it is otherwise very straightforward. Arcade-style time challenges, checkpoints and bike customization/upgrades may have done more to flesh out the game.

As a technical achievement and an example of how the Jaguar handles 2D, Super Burnout is a showpiece. It's arguably the best racer on the system and is enjoyable in both single-player or versus mode. I hesitate to call it a "must-have" but if you like sport bikes and racing games, it's well worth your time."

Thanks for reading!