Squad Challenge - Pizza Party Summer - Space Invaders (Atari 2600)

Justin

large.pizza_party_summer_1.gif

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Space Invaders
Atari 2600
Controller: JOYSTICK / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Game 1, Difficulty B
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST June 30th, 2022

Nominated by @Justin

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between June 15th through June 30th, 2022. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

We are playing Space Invaders using the default settings of Game 1 with Difficulty Switches set to B. This provides for the default level of gameplay, including smaller cannons that are more difficult to hit.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 126th Squad Challenge, the first Squad Challenge for this year's Pizza Party Summer! Atari I/O Summer Pizza Party is now PIZZA PARTY SUMMER and runs from June 15th through July 31st! For this Squad Challenge we're playing possibly the definitive classic game for the Atari 2600: Space Invaders! We're playing on the default settings that everybody knows and loves, so pop your Space Invaders cartridge into your 2600, set difficulty switches to B and you're good to go! This Squad Challenge will run through June 30th, 2022. ROM and Instruction Manual are provided below. Good luck!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Space Invaders.pdfspace_invaders.BIN

7 minutes ago, greenween said:

Question. I scored 11,050 and realized the score flipped at 10k. How can we handle this?

@greenween Yikes. I was hoping that wouldn't be an issue. Cheap Atari and their five digit scoring! When it comes to rolling scores we have to go with "the honor system". There are no prizes for this event and it's just for "nerd cred" so hopefully nobody would lie. Let's do the best we can, stay honest, and remember this is about having a good time with friends in the forums.

Providing a photo of your score somewhere around 99,000+ before rolling the score would go a long way to substantiating any claim to a rolled score.

We actually addressed this in the "How To Play - High Score Squad" rules. It says:

Rolling Scores

We count rolling scores. If you can roll the score, keep on playing as far as you can possibly go. Keep track of your rolls and post your best score. There are no bonuses added to your score in this contest, we are playing on raw scores. 

Be Honest, Have Integrity

We're operating on the honor system. I trust that you are all submitting verifiable scores, and we'll be able to spot a Photoshopped image. Dishonest players will be disqualified. 

You can read more here:

I considered making this an "Ultimate Space Invaders" Challenge, with difficulty cranked up to the highest levels. I chose to go with default settings to keep gameplay relaxed, easy and accessible to all, since we have so many events going on at one time. I wanted everybody to be able to hop between events, sample different games, and have time for a little bit of everything. So we kept difficulty levels at a normal level. I forgot that might lead to a rolling score on Space Invaders. Let's do our best to be honest and have fun :invader: 

Once the shields are gone I start each level with the joystick pushed to the right and the fire button down. Taking out the bottom 2 rows all the way across, then all the way back to the left for the final row. Smooth sailing from there. 🙂

"Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime."

Oh no! @Gianna and I had both intended to post scores for this Squad Challenge, but my Space Invaders cartridge seems to have bit the dust! I gave it a good cleaning earlier this week. I keep most of my games in nice shape, I think this one is roached. I'll have to call @Video 61 and order another one. If I can get a score in tonight I will. Good luck to everybody playing!

IMG_7837.JPG

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Greenween!

Congratulations to "The Mayor" @greenween on becoming Atari I/O's reigning Space Invaders champ!! We played Space Invaders on default settings and had plenty of scores roll over, but it was a fun event and worth spending all this "nerd cred" on rolled scores! @greenween rolled his score twice came in 1st Place with his outstanding score of 23,125 played on real hardware. "The Don" @RickR was hot on Greenween's tail with his out-of-this-world score of 21,945 points, taking 2nd Place in our Final Standings. @Dinobot711 takes 3rd Place in our Final Standings with his incredible score of 8,790 points, @TrekMD takes 4th Place with 6,620, and @Atari 5200 Guy rounds things out in 5th with a solid showing of 6,225 points. @Gianna and I both attempted to join this Squad Challenge and unfortunately my Space Invaders cartridge bit the dust, so we're submitting official scores of "0 points" as we both at least tried to participate. Awesome scores all around, and I hope all of you enjoyed playing Space Invaders! As I always, I'd like to encourage @greenween to post his new high score on the Scoreboard to make sure this Challenge continues! We'll be seeing you in the next event as Pizza Party Summer marches on all summer long!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad is Gradius for the Nintendo Entertainment System. Be there!

large.final_standings_atari_2600_space_invaders.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif