Top Gun Watch Party - Pizza Party Summer

Justin

large.pizza_party_summer_1.gif

xUuHj3CgmZQ9P2cMaqQs4J0d4Zc.jpg

Let's organize a Top Gun watch party! Atari I/O Summer Pizza Party is now PIZZA PARTY SUMMER and runs from June 15th through July 31st!

During this High Score Squad Challenge, we're going to be watching the original Top Gun from 1986 and sharing our thoughts on the movie here. With the new Top Gun in theaters, I thought this would be a perfect time for us to have a watch party for the original. Top Gun is widely available to be streamed on almost any platform, and I don't doubt many of you still have Top Gun on VHS somewhere 😎 Let's organize a watch party and share thoughts of the original film, as well as the new Top Gun sequel currently in theaters if you've seen it. (No spoilers!) This is also a great time to share your memories of seeing the original Top Gun in the theater and what was going on when you first saw it. Enjoy!

I watched Top Gun Maverick last weekend. I thought about rewatching Top Gun 1986 beforehand but didn't. I haven't seen Top Gun in 30 years? You can find Top Gun on Prime Video, by the way.

Outside of the constant kid yelling and crying (someone brought his wife, mother?, and 2 or 3 little kids along with a stroller), I found Maverick a very fun to watch. It certainly gave my emotions a rollercoaster ride. Some impressions on the cast--First, I stand in awe of Tom Cruise and his physicality. He's looking great and still runs around like a young man--amazing. Second, Jennifer Connelly was an excellent casting choice. I wasn't a big fan of hers back in the day, but I have loved her work in recent years like Alita. Third, Miles Teller as Goose's son blew my mind--I thought I was seeing Anthony Edwards. He definitely looked the part of Goose's son.

Maverick was definitely a fun watch, and I loved the way it paid homage to the original, and yet it crafted its own identify. It isn't quite the tour de force of the 1986 Top Gun, and if I had to compare the two, my favorite is still the 1986 release. I told my wife that if you're a young man back in 1986, you likely had one of three reactions to watching Top Gun: 1) join the navy to be a pilot, 2) bought a Kawasaki Ninja or something similar, or 3) started playing 2-on-2 volleyball. I chose number three 🏐.

I have Top Gun on VHS.  And my player is in STEREO!  Can you dig it?

I know the two iconic songs from that movie Kenny Loggin's Danger Zone and Take My Breath Away were played on my local radio station a lot.  The second on got more air time than the other one though and a lot of dedicated requests.

Edited by Atari 5200 Guy

I haven't watched Top Gun, but I wanted to share a bit about pizza and this seems like a good place to do it. 

I know the national chains are pretty weak for great pizza, but I decided to take the Review-Brah's advice and give the Pizza Hut "The Edge" pizza a try this evening.  My verdict:  Delicious.  And only $16 (with tip, I did carryout).  It's got a crispy thin crust that isn't anything like the regular crust at The Hut.  👍

Back during the time of the Original Top Gun the wife was pregnant with our first child and we had read about playing music to the developing fetus to birth.  So, as lark we played the Top Gun theme to him.  Yes, we did get a little sick of that theme song, but it had some surprising results.  After he was born things all went normally, but then on his first birthday, while sitting in his high chair, when MTV still played music, that Top Gun theme song starting playing... that kid stopped everything he was doing and was like a statue for about 10 seconds, then a really interesting grin came across his face and he started bobbing his head to the music and rocking back and forth in his high chair having a great time!

Now in his mid 30's my son still likes that Top Gun theme song like no other song... but we have never told him why!

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

I'll watch the original tonight!   I've seen Maverick twice, and am also on the Amazon pre-order list for it.  What I really loved about this movie is that it was sheer entertainment without being used as a stealth vector for shoving any type of political agenda in my face.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

Top Gun - I have seen it a dozen times, so I'm going to pass this time.  Does anyone know if it's on any of the streaming services?  It really does have a great soundtrack.  No stinkers in the bunch.  I love it.  My son #1 loves the movie, mostly because it gives you that "pumped-up" action movie feeling.  And we love to laugh at the "volleyball in jeans" scene. 

As for "Maverick", I'm waiting for son #2 to go to see it with me, but he's been working too much...  Son #1 has already seen it (he lives in another city) and loved it. 

31 minutes ago, RickR said:

Top Gun - I have seen it a dozen times, so I'm going to pass this time.  Does anyone know if it's on any of the streaming services?  It really does have a great soundtrack.  No stinkers in the bunch.  I love it.  My son #1 loves the movie, mostly because it gives you that "pumped-up" action movie feeling.  And we love to laugh at the "volleyball in jeans" scene. 

As for "Maverick", I'm waiting for son #2 to go to see it with me, but he's been working too much...  Son #1 has already seen it (he lives in another city) and loved it. 

It's streaming on Paramount+. That's where we watched it.

Maverick was awesome! It maybe hits one too many beats from the original but the action is enthralling.