Sabertooth

image.png

Release Date: October 13, 2022

Retail: 24.99

Developer(s): Illogika

Publisher: Atari

Official Site

Synopsis :

A wild journey through videogame history, Atari Mania is a microgame collection wrapped in a hilarious retro-driven narrative of exploration and surprise. 

You play as the Caretaker of the Atari Vault, the storehouse of classic Atari games. One night, a dead pixel appears and soon enough, all heck breaks loose!! 

Familiar and beloved games begin to warp, mutate and combine into a series of increasingly crazy challenges. It’s up to you to fight back the pixels and other surprising villains, and restore order to the Vault!

Edited by Sabertooth

Atari Mania was announced in an Atari SA french language financial report late last year.  At the time, nothing was really known about the title except that it would be a series of mini games.  Now we have the first images and a game trailer.  What are your first impressions? 

Edited by Sabertooth

4 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

Very cool! The dark souls version of this is Atari Classics on the PSP where you have to complete the challenges to unlock the 2600 roms, which were so tough few if any ever did.

Cool! I never had a PSP but will try that one on emulation.

From the article it sounds like they are planning something similar here:

Players can unlock remastered versions of old Atari games by completing challenges, so it doubles as a retro collection, like Pac-Man Museum+.

Edited by Sabertooth

I'm having fun with it, but I'm stuck on the first set of mini games!  I get so close to finishing but choke on that last one.  I'll keep trying. 

This had the making of something really special, but I think the difficulty may be a bit too high for the target audience.  Maybe they could have included a "difficulty" option?  It will take me some effort to get past that first set, and that doesn't bode well for me on the frustration factor. 

Edited by RickR