I want to make my Atari 5200 ** TOTALLY WIRELESS **

- Ω -

Seems like an interesting idea.  I helped my brother do something similar but different....we added a bluetooth receiver to his old-school stereo system in his garage so that he could play music from his phone on that system.  What you described would need a transmitter, which I've never looked for. 

8 hours ago, RickR said:

Seems like an interesting idea.  I helped my brother do something similar but different....we added a bluetooth receiver to his old-school stereo system in his garage so that he could play music from his phone on that system.  What you described would need a transmitter, which I've never looked for. 

There is << THIS ONE >> that is selectable between TRANSMIT & RECEIVE... and if you buy two...

s-l1600.jpg

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

For convenience sake, I'd like to make my Atari 5200 TOTALLY WIRELESS.  I figure I would need a HDMI transmitter and receiver pair to hook up to the S-VIDEO/HDMI converter and a decent battery to supply at least two hours of continual use.  It would be plugged in and charging when not in use.  Now there may be a lag issue, so before I take this any further, has anyone here used a wireless HDMI setup with an S-VIDEO to HDMI converter?

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

I have not, but all of the cheaper made s-vid/composite to HDMI converters always had some amount of lag in them to begin with. Even the higher priced $55 dollar one I purchased nearly a decade ago had some lag. Funny thing is that I didn't really notice it until I moved everything over the Extron+OSSC setup I use now. And especially noticed when connected back up to a CRT for any quick game testing.

My point is that wireless anything is going to have some lag anyway with the translation between transmitter/receiver and then add on the video conversion and it would likely be noticeable at that point.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

To be fair, if you aren't playing twitch manic type games, then the lag might not be an issue for you and could easily be adjusted and compensated to. But I can't image being very good at Star Raiders, or the Last Starfighter or most of the arcade conversions with any substantial amount of lag.

I'm only speculating here, but even on my PS4, or my Switch, I've noticed some inherent lag exists while playing. The difference is that the games made for those systems take it into account and so allow for more leeway and to allow for you to adjust to it.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections