Star Raiders (2011)

Atari 5200 Guy

Hi guys! Happy Father's Day!

I'm now trying out Star Raiders on the XBOX 360 having never played it before and approaching it with what I know from the original, it's sequel, and Solaris.  Yes, I'm including Solaris as it part of the SR family.  I'll be back with my findings.

If anyone here has played this game before I'd like to hear your opinion.

Granted I've not played the 360 version but I did just look up some gameplay video of it on youtube. The beginning story already screws up things by making the game title 'Star Raiders' refer to the group of elite pilots that you are playing as. Far as I remember...it was called Star Raiders because the Zylons were..uh... raiding star systems of their resources and you were trying to take them out before they could succeed? So already they have hosed up the title's meaning for me...

I won't watch anymore and wait for your review take on it.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

2 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I'll have to look that one up.

I'm writing my review now, guys.  Keep an eye out for it.

Let me know when you try the ST version.  I'll play it too when you do. 

It's been a while, but I remember liking the game a lot.  It's a port of the orig with some nice enhancements (like more varied enemy ships, and a much stronger enemy AI), but I thought the 3D first person view wasn't as convincing as the orig.  The good news is that they keys are all the same, so anyone that played the 8-bit version will feel right at home when playing the ST version.

2 minutes ago, RickR said:

Let me know when you try the ST version.  I'll play it too when you do. 

It's been a while, but I remember liking the game a lot.  It's a port of the orig with some nice enhancements (like more varied enemy ships, and a much stronger enemy AI), but I thought the 3D first person view wasn't as convincing as the orig.  The good news is that they keys are all the same, so anyone that played the 8-bit version will feel right at home when playing the ST version.

I'm down with that.  I think I will try it out after dinner tonight.  If that is too soon for you let me know and I will wait until you have more time.

Yeah, don't wait for me then!  I'm in bad shape over here.  Really bad allergies today.  I want to play more Legend of Zelda, but my eyes are so watery I can't see right. 

I'll try to play sometime this week, but please do not wait for me.  I'm eager to know your opinion of the ST version. 

9 minutes ago, RickR said:

Yeah, don't wait for me then!  I'm in bad shape over here.  Really bad allergies today.  I want to play more Legend of Zelda, but my eyes are so watery I can't see right. 

I'll try to play sometime this week, but please do not wait for me.  I'm eager to know your opinion of the ST version. 

I will wait until you are better.  It would be interesting to play this game the same time as someone else.

Speaking of the ST line. I've a chance to do some console work for a buddy and in exchange I believe a 1040ST is in the mix along with possibly an Atari monitor to go with. But I don't have room for anymore retro consoles, much less computers! I have the 130xe but that I can easily take off the shelf and connect via S-video to my AV setup to play some games. No space for a dedicated complete setup so... I would have really want it or be convinced I really need one to bite?

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

1 minute ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I will have to see if I even have it downloaded.  I really need to try to invest in a SD4ST hard drive emulator.  But with gas prices and food costs going up money is really tight these days.

I hear you there.  I'm very lucky to be able to work from home, so no gas consuming commute.  Still, filling up the car is painful! 

I have a Gotek floppy drive emulator, which was a nice inexpensive choice several years ago when I bought it.  I don't know if they even still make them or how much they cost.  But it works great. 

1 minute ago, CrossBow said:

Speaking of the ST line. I've a chance to do some console work for a buddy and in exchange I believe a 1040ST is in the mix along with possibly an Atari monitor to go with. But I don't have room for anymore retro consoles, much less computers! I have the 130xe but that I can easily take off the shelf and connect via S-video to my AV setup to play some games. No space for a dedicated complete setup so... I would have really want it or be convinced I really need one to bite?

It's totally up to you and that's a pretty nice form of payment. 

My experience will sound familiar.  I had the Atari color monitor, but ended up selling it.  It took up a lot of space even though the screen itself was really small.  And it was ONLY usable on that ST computer.  (As an example, I have a Commodore monitor that has all kinds of inputs so it works with almost all my consoles and computers).  I found that with a composite cable for the ST, I enjoyed the games a lot more on a bigger screen TV. 

However, 80 column text is a lot more usable on that monitor.  And it had a super nice visual quality to it. 

You've got a tough choice in front of you :) 

2 minutes ago, CrossBow said:

Hang on to the ST at least!  The monitor out on those can be connected to standard A/V inputs on TVs.  Take the monitor, too, and sell it if you must.  You could use the money to invest in an emulated drive for that ST.  But don't pass up the ST at least.  Stand it in a corner or something until you want to use it.  Those are getting hard to come by. Hopefully it is an FM model.

3 minutes ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Hang on to the ST at least!  The monitor out on those can be connected to standard A/V inputs on TVs.  Take the monitor, too, and sell it if you must.  You could use the money to invest in an emulated drive for that ST.  But don't pass up the ST at least.  Stand it in a corner or something until you want to use it.  Those are getting hard to come by. Hopefully it is an FM model.

I agree with all this.  If it were me, I'd grab the ST and skip the monitor. 

No idea. Another local collector that also used to deal in arcade cabs is now thinning out a good chunk of his stuff. He feels he will have better success if the consoles are upgraded for easier play on modern displays so he is wanting me to provide the parts to do so on about 3 consoles. In return I would get a parts console, 2 CIB games I need for the collection of which, one of them is not cheap usually to get plus the ST setup. He was also offering an Adam setup but I told him to keep that boat anchor as I KNOW I don't have room for that! 

If the ST is about the same size as the 130xe, I'm sure I can find a place to store it and then pull it out when I want to use it. But composite output is rough. I couldn't stand the composite output on my 130xe or most of my other consoles so if there isn't an easy to do RGB from it with my current setup or something, then I'm not sure. Most of the games that I'd likely have been interested in for it, I own as Jaguar ports on cartridge LOL!

Just now, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Would it help if I said I would really enjoy having a friend who is also new to the ST?

TWO friends :)

I am really trying.  Time is hard to come by, but I'm seriously making an effort to play more.

One more point to make is that there's a lot of inexpensive additions you can get for the ST.  For example, I have a little board that lets you use a modern USB mouse on the ST (or the Amiga which is where I use it).  It was only like $15. 

There are ST games not yet ported to the Jaguar that are still good but I know that 1040 ST alone is worth a LOT.  Why not get the computer, try it out, if you don't like it then sell it.  Either way is a win win.  I understand lack of space, I'm not familiar if it had RGB but it.must because ST to VGA adapters are available.

2 minutes ago, RickR said:

TWO friends 🙂

I am really trying.  Time is hard to come by, but I'm seriously making an effort to play more.

One more point to make is that there's a lot of inexpensive additions you can get for the ST.  For example, I have a little board that lets you use a modern USB mouse on the ST (or the Amiga which is where I use it).  It was only like $15. 

Well, I couldn't leave you out, @RickR.  That'd be unconstitutional.

6 minutes ago, CrossBow said:

If the ST is about the same size as the 130xe, I'm sure I can find a place to store it and then pull it out when I want to use it.

Here's some pictures of my 520STFM (which is the exact same size as a 1040STFM) and a 600XL/800XL.  The ST is bigger, but has no power brick.  I think it may have RGB out cable too, but I don't remember.

atari computers 001.JPG

atari computers 002.JPG