Star Raiders (2011)

Atari 5200 Guy

1 minute ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Have you guys played the original SR II that never got released?

Yes.  There's also a "Last Starfighter" version.  I couldn't ever figure out how to play.  I assume there's a good game there.  It certainly looks good.  Back in the 80's when I had BBS-downloaded copies of both, I didn't have a manual.  Maybe this would be another one to explore assuming that a manual is available on-line now.

Just now, RickR said:

Yes.  There's also a "Last Starfighter" version.  I couldn't ever figure out how to play.  I assume there's a good game there.  It certainly looks good.  Back in the 80's when I had BBS-downloaded copies of both, I didn't have a manual.  Maybe this would be another one to explore assuming that a manual is available on-line now.

I had that SR II a long time ago and spent a day off from working playing that game only.  I eventually beat it but it was not an easy game to beat.  You have to travel to the Zylon sector of the map and start taking out their bases.  If you that, and travel back to your bases for supplies often, you'll eventually beat it.

1 minute ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I had that SR II a long time ago and spent a day off from working playing that game only.  I eventually beat it but it was not an easy game to beat.  You have to travel to the Zylon sector of the map and start taking out their bases.  If you that, and travel back to your bases for supplies often, you'll eventually beat it.

I need to replace that game.  I have a box and manual...but no game 🙄

2 minutes ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I need to replace that game.  I have a box and manual...but no game 🙄

Oh now I feel stupid.  I just realized I have a boxed copy of Star Raiders 2 WITH MANUAL.  DOH!  I need to go back and learn how to play properly. 

7 hours ago, RickR said:

Yeah, don't wait for me then!  I'm in bad shape over here.  Really bad allergies today.  I want to play more Legend of Zelda, but my eyes are so watery I can't see right. 

I'll try to play sometime this week, but please do not wait for me.  I'm eager to know your opinion of the ST version. 

I hope you get better soon.  

I have played the unreleased SR II through my UnoCart on my 130xe and it is quite fun but it is more difficult due to the ship movements still not being finalized so they move around strangely and your shots don't register hitting them very well.

As for TLSF... oh... I have that game mastered!!! I did a game play video sometime back on my 5200 where I talk about the strategy I use when playing it. But here are a few key things:

The main thing is that it seems the Kodan fleets have a harder time of getting through the frontier if you take out all of the fighters in the fleet squadron first. Meaning... go to a dot that represents one of the Kodan squadrons... take down the fighters and when the main destroyer ships appear...take out the first 2 and leave the 3rd and last one alone. Then warp to another group and repeat. Once you have the initial Kodan groups all reduced to a single destroyer, they don't seem able to get through the frontier anymore. As a result, you power up from the sun as needed and then warp to the Kodan system and start taking out their bases on their planets. Do NOT worry about the fighters that attack when you are taking out their cities because they don't do that much damage and even if they take out your main cannon or your energy does get low, you can repair/power up at their sun just like yours. So you do that really quick and come back. Once you have all of the Kodan cities on each of their three planets destroyed, they can't build anymore squadrons to come after you. So all that is left is all there will be of the enemy at that point. Now you can go back and engage the remaining groups of Kodan groups and win the game. Pretty simple really once you know all of this.

Another thing is that as soon as you get notification about the Frontier being under attack, immediately warp from combat or wherever you are and get to the spot that is under attack. The quicker you do this, the less likely they are to ever get any enemy groups into the Rylos system.

So my basic gameplay session goes like this...

You start off on Rylos already with enemy fighters already in range. Start taking them down but ignore them when you see Frontier under Attack messages. Always... protect the frontier!

Then go back and take out remaining fighters. If you are really quick about this beginning process, only Rylos will initially be under attack and you can prevent anything from happening to the other two planets.

After Rylos is protected and you have the initial batch of enemy groups down to a single destroyer, then go after the Kodan system and take out their bases. Might have to warp back to the Rylos system once or twice in this process to protect against more Frontier attacks, but again if you reduce most of the groups to a single destroyer, this isn't much of an issue later.

If you are lucky... or unlucky depending on your view. One of the squads might actually contain the Kodan command ship. This is a right bear to take down as it seems to require a couple of direct shots to the center of it and that can be tricky. Most of the time it seems to escape from me. That's bad since you aren't likely to encounter it again although it can happen sometimes. I even had a game once where I encountered 2 Kodan Command ships and was able to take them both out. That was a glorious game.

Anyway, The Last Starfighter game on the 5200 is probably my favorite game to play on the console. And I only advise use of the original 5200 controllers to play it.

Here is the video to my game play session where I go through an entire game of TLSF and talk about these strategies and a few more if you're curious.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

Okay so on the 1040ST then... it only has just the monitor output right? I did confirm with the current owner that it is not the STF version so there isn't an RF modulator on it. Don't think it is the E version either so no enhanced audio. 

So basically, I would need the monitor in order to use the thing it seems like?

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

9 minutes ago, CrossBow said:

Okay so on the 1040ST then... it only has just the monitor output right? I did confirm with the current owner that it is not the STF version so there isn't an RF modulator on it. Don't think it is the E version either so no enhanced audio. 

So basically, I would need the monitor in order to use the thing it seems like?

If it has a monitor port, you can buy or create a cable to output as you wish.  For example, my composite cable plugs into that monitor port.  I'm pretty sure you can get RGB and VGA cables that plug into that same round port, but please research first....my memory gets fuzzy.

More info here.  https://info-coach.fr/atari/hardware/interfaces.php#ATARI_VIDEO_INTERFACE

I have an older composite output cable I can use with my 130xe? Are they pinned the same? Even then I actually use an s-video and audio only cable on it now that I had made by Hercules Cables. 

Does the ST line provide s-video output on them through the monitor port? I don't see how RGB, composite, and s-video would all fit if they are using the same din connector the older 8-bit computers used?

17 hours ago, RickR said:

The 130XE cable will not work, the pinout is different.

din13f.png

Check out the link in my post above. 

Are there those that sell the various output methods as ready made cables then? Seems like the RGB or VGA color low/med resolution options would work well for my setup since my Extron has a dedicated VGA input on it. Though it is for PC VGA signals so not sure how it would handle the 15khz but it might handle it just fine honestly. And I'm pretty confident I could get the RGB option to work either directly to my Extron through BNC or SCART to my switcher.

59 minutes ago, CrossBow said:

Are there those that sell the various output methods as ready made cables then? Seems like the RGB or VGA color low/med resolution options would work well for my setup since my Extron has a dedicated VGA input on it. Though it is for PC VGA signals so not sure how it would handle the 15khz but it might handle it just fine honestly. And I'm pretty confident I could get the RGB option to work either directly to my Extron through BNC or SCART to my switcher.

Yes, I believe so.  It's been many years since I bought a cable for mine, and I remember having several options to choose from (I chose composite).  Look on ebay, and if that doesn't work, search on AtariAge.