XEGS Question - Food for Thought

Interesting question.  The Intellivision had offered one initially that was not delivered but it did deliver a different one later that was meant for the model 2.  The 2600 had one by Atari that never was released but there was a third party keyboard that was indeed released.  The 7800 was supposed to have one as well, hence the original model had an expansion port for it but it never saw the light of day.  Here are some pictures...

Atari 2600 Keyboard (unreleased, by Atari)

1775150622_2600Keyboard(Unreleased).jpg.58a1c818099e2d3d5e9552032f7e13ac.jpg

Atari 2600 Compumate Keyboard

217525267_2600Compumate.jpg.f783aa82cb46e70b93130bf74b66621e.jpg

Intellivision Keyboard Component

1551380133_IntellivisionKeyboardComponent.jpg.3ada6c28620529a906888f3c71170fd5.jpg

Intellivision Computer Module

1566065333_IntellivisionComputerModule.gif.5cb3ab263042216011ce440565535c73.gif

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Yea, see, most of those had issues or delays.  I did not know about the third-party keyboard.  The XEGS had a keyboard right out of the gate.  No delays, no waiting.  It was there on release.  That is where my thought process was when I decided to ask my question.  I would really like to hear other's thoughts.

4 hours ago, RickR said:

This is a fun question!

There was also the Adam expansion for Colecovision.

I don't know if the XEGS qualifies.  The keyboard wasn't an add-on if it came in the box.  XEGS is just a repackaged XE computer. 

The XEGS should qualify because of what it was marketed as originally.  It is a consolized 65XE of course but it was supposed to be a game console as far as the public was concerned.  With that in mind that leaves another question (I hope you guys are enjoying reading what I'm thinking).

What defines an add-on/accessory?

In my mind an add-on or accessory is anything that has to be attached to a device to make it work.  Computers like the Atari 8-bits and C64 have their keyboards built in. To me that makes those keyboards permanently attached, exempting those from being add-ons.   Modern PCs and the XEGS have a keyboard connected by a cable or other means.  Those machines don't care if a keyboard is connected or not.  I know most Windows based computers will boot fine without one.  To me...those are add-ons because you have to add them to gain that ability. 

If I'm wrong or thinking it differently then others then my apologies.  I would like to hear other's thoughts about this and my first question.

To put my thought about what an add-on is in a different perspective to me a modern computer is made up of what actually goes inside the tower.  The basic stuff.  Things like keyboards, mouse, printer, speakers, monitor, I consider accessories or add-ons.  The same for Atari computers.  The program recorders, disk drives, printers, all add-ons/accessories to me.  

If you was to take a 65XE apart and remove the keyboard you would have the XEGS.  It would function just fine without the keyboard.  Plug a joystick in and a game cart and you have a game machine.  Just my opinion.

OK, you've convinced me.  It is a console with an add-on.  I think from a technical-design standpoint, it isn't...but from the marketing side, it totally is. 

I do see it as a game console because the first one I got as a collector didn't come with a keyboard.  It can play any game cartridge that doesn't need the keyboard, and even has Missile Command built in.  (No Star Raiders though) 

7 hours ago, RickR said:

OK, you've convinced me.  It is a console with an add-on.  I think from a technical-design standpoint, it isn't...but from the marketing side, it totally is. 

I do see it as a game console because the first one I got as a collector didn't come with a keyboard.  It can play any game cartridge that doesn't need the keyboard, and even has Missile Command built in.  (No Star Raiders though) 

Did you know you can use a ST mouse to play Missile Command on the XEGS?  If you have the keyboard, boot up the game and press CTRL + T on the keyboard.  Now use your ST mouse to play the game.  Full analog control!

1 minute ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Did you know you can use a ST mouse to play Missile Command on the XEGS?  If you have the keyboard, boot up the game and press CTRL + T on the keyboard.  Now use your ST mouse to play the game.  Full analog control!

It also works with the two models of Atari 2600 track-balls when put in analog mode. 

Now....this brings up a bigger question.  Could one use the trackball on the ST as a mouse alternative?

Edited by RickR

1 minute ago, RickR said:

It also works with the two models of Atari 2600 track-balls when put in analog mode. 

Now....this brings up a bigger question.  Could one use the trackball on the ST as a mouse alternative?

Interesting question.  If it can that would be like those PC keyboards where the trackball was where the arrow keys would be. Remember those?