Squad Challenge - Pizza Party Summer - Gradius (NES)

Justin

large.1094813823_PizzaPartySummer-WeekofJuly1st.gif

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Gradius
Nintendo Entertainment System
Controller: CONTROL PAD / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Default
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST July 14th, 2022

Nominated by @Justin

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between July 1st through July 14th, 2022. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

We are playing Gradius using the default settings. Simply Press Start to Play.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 129th Squad Challenge, the second Squad Challenge for this year's Pizza Party Summer! Atari I/O Summer Pizza Party is now PIZZA PARTY SUMMER and runs from June 15th through July 31st! For this Squad Challenge we're playing one of the most definitive side scrolling shoot 'em up games of the 8-bit era: Gradius for NES! Is this where your love of shoot-'em-ups started? This Squad Challenge will run through July 14th, 2022. ROM and Instruction Manual are provided below. Good luck!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Gradius.nes Gradius.pdf

I want to get this game for my Famicom. I know it is on the NES Classic Mini but getting it on the Famicom would sort of complete the series as I already have Gradius II and Salamander.

Sometimes I've went through that gap and got 5,000 points and other times I got nothing.  The boulder suspended just before the volcanos?  If you back into it just right without killing yourself you can nab another 5,000.

1 hour ago, RickR said:

Oh jeez, I had forgotten how hard this game is. 

This game is brutal. Absolutely brutal. I'm trying to remember what we all were thinking when we first played this game when it was new. Going from Asteroids and Tempest to this is like immediately jumping into the deep end of the pool and learning to swim.

My High Score: 93,300

IMG_0033.JPG

8 minutes ago, Justin said:

I'm trying to remember what we all were thinking when we first played this game when it was new

I think it's a "fair" hard though.  Every death feels like it was my fault.  The patterns are always the same.  It's a matter of learning what to do and then executing.  Plus it's fun to see what's next. 

The VCS "Recharged" games remind me a lot of this...a brutal difficulty level, but it's not unfair and I do get better over time.

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Greenween!

Congratulations once again to "The Mayor" @greenween on becoming Atari I/O High Score Squad champ twice in a row!! We played an incredibly challenging shoot-'em-up game and everyone showed up with scores to be proud of. @greenween came in 1st Place with his outstanding score of 119,400 played on real hardware. I was hot on @greenween's tail, posting a score of 93,300 to take 2nd Place in the Final Standings. Legendary Squad Member @Atari 5200 Guy came in strong to take 3rd Place with his score of 51,000 even. "The Don" @RickR was not far behind and posts a heafty score of 43,100 points, taking 4th Place in our Final Standings. @Gianna gave it her all in her first time playing this game to post a score of 34,800 taking 5th Place. As I always, I'd like to encourage @greenween to post his new high score on the Scoreboard to make sure this Challenge continues! We'll be seeing you in the next event as Pizza Party Summer marches on all summer long!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad is Pinball for the Nintendo Entertainment System. Be there!

large.final_standings_nintendo_nes_gradius.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif