Why do I pay for Amazon Prime?

- Ω -

I buy roughly $200-$500 monthly from Amazon, but it seems they are taking longer and longer before they even ship the product.  Why should I wait 10 days before they even ship the product?  So, I'm putting out a call to everyone, is there another company (that carries nearly everything like Amazon), that I could try?

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

Are you a "Prime" member?  It seems like you get faster service if you are.  I'm not, but I have a family member that is.  When my brother orders from Amazon, he usually gets whatever it is the next day.  For me, I usually have to wait several days, up to a week. 

As for alternatives, I can't think of any that sell "everything".  But I do prefer to buy categories of goods from other places.  For example, car parts I get from RockAuto.com instead of Amazon because I trust them and the quality of parts seems higher even if the cost to ship is a bit higher.  Computer parts come from Newegg.com, again -- I trust them more and the selection is better.  Books, I always look at Thriftbooks.com first. 

1 hour ago, RickR said:

Are you a "Prime" member?  It seems like you get faster service if you are.  I'm not, but I have a family member that is.  When my brother orders from Amazon, he usually gets whatever it is the next day.  For me, I usually have to wait several days, up to a week. 

As for alternatives, I can't think of any that sell "everything".  But I do prefer to buy categories of goods from other places.  For example, car parts I get from RockAuto.com instead of Amazon because I trust them and the quality of parts seems higher even if the cost to ship is a bit higher.  Computer parts come from Newegg.com, again -- I trust them more and the selection is better.  Books, I always look at Thriftbooks.com first. 

Yeah, that's another problem I have with Amazon, I am a prime member but it doesn't seem to matter on delivery times.  Once they ship, it gets here in 2,3,4, or 5 days, but they take their sweet time getting around to shipping.   For instance I recently purchased an item from them and it said on the screen, order in the next 2 hours for free next day shipping... but the next day I logged in and the date was changed.  I'm going to start taking screen grabs, maybe someday I'll make a video about their deceptive marketing tactics.

I originally chose Amazon because I didn't have to put my card out there on multiple sites and could easily click a button to order and be done with it and then pay everything off in one go at the end of the month.  But lately I cannot count on items in a timely fashion.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

I'm not a prime member, but Amazon has one of their very large distro warehouses just a hour or so from where I live. There is also another large distro facility in a suburb town right next to my city.

Point is, I just placed an order for some things middle of last week, and they all arrived Saturday just 3 days later. Because of similar experiences like this in the past, I've not really seen the need to become a prime member LOL! 

Edited by CrossBow

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

I'm never going to defend Amazon in any way, as I think it's shameful how they treat employees (meat grinder).  But I suspect it's the pandemic and shortage of workers and overwhelming demand.  I work from home, and I see more Amazon trucks in the neighborhood than ever before.  Crazy crazy times we live in. 

Did I ever tell you the story about me buying the Jaguar GameDrive?  You have to wait forever and then jump on it when stock becomes available.  And I don't remember the price, but it's somewhere near $200.  Anyway, I ordered one, and it got LOST IN THE MAIL just like this.  The point being, stuff happens.  It's no big deal unless we're talking prescription drugs or something. 

Why do I continue to pay for Amazon Prime?  At least half my packages are late, so much for two day shipping!  In this case they waited three days before sending it, and on the fourth day they tell me it'll be another day.  I think I'm going to cancel soon.  If I want to buy something small, I'll just wait until I can place an order over $25.00 to get the free shipping, because with the delays I'm paying for essentially nothing.

WhyDoIEvenPayForPrime.JPG.a108374741056ae7aac342911502ce1c.JPG

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

Though I have had delays, they have not been frequent.  I live in Miami, though, and they have a distribution center right in the area, which likely helps.  I even have the option to pick up stuff at the nearby WholeFoods market.  I can see the frustration of paying for the service and not having the advantage it is supposed to offer.  I take it you don't want their content?

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Here's another reason to drop Prime subs...starting in Jan. 29 they will start showing "limited" ads in all their Prime Video movies and shows.  Like I'm already paying them too much money even thjough I still have to rent or buy half their content anyway, and it's not enough for them??  And they already have an ad-supported streaming service called FreeVee so WTF!?

This will be my final month so I can finish up watching a series on the BritBox subchannel in a few weeks.  After that I can take the Prime sub money and put it towards buying a season of a show I still have to do anyway.

On 1/7/2024 at 9:41 AM, MistaMaddog said:

Here's another reason to drop Prime subs...starting in Jan. 29 they will start showing "limited" ads in all their Prime Video movies and shows.  Like I'm already paying them too much money even thjough I still have to rent or buy half their content anyway, and it's not enough for them??  And they already have an ad-supported streaming service called FreeVee so WTF!?

This will be my final month so I can finish up watching a series on the BritBox subchannel in a few weeks.  After that I can take the Prime sub money and put it towards buying a season of a show I still have to do anyway.

Agreed!  The idea of paying that much month for commercials on top of the lousy delivery service is not something I care to encourage.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

Posted (edited)
On 1/7/2024 at 10:45 AM, RickR said:

I think it's $35 to get free shipping now.

Yeah, $35.00 X 12 months is $420.00 a year... for commercials?  Nope, not gonna happen.  But according to this...

AMOUNT.JPG.c20d528caca708efc219897b2b81d9e8.JPG

... it's currently only $ 179.88 before tax.  Even so, I can wait a few weeks and bundle my orders.  I can still use my Alexa, but maybe not for music.

Edited by - Ω -

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

DidIreallysave.JPG.4ae069189e943417539a46802c408392.JPG

According the Amazon, I supposedly "saved" $67.17 over the last 12 months, but if I paid $179.88 (before tax), that means I paid $122.71 for essentially a few movies and some limited music streaming.  I could pay for CBS all access and get that last season of Star Trek I've missed.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>