Newsflash: Atari's 2022 Financial Results Hint at New VCS Strategy

Sabertooth

Atari released its financial Results for the year ended March 31, 2022 today. The summary includes some interesting information on their pivot back to gaming and a few tidbits for VCS owners. 

- Revised VCS go-to-market and development of a complementary hardware strategy

- Atari completed the review of its go-to-market for Atari VCS, resulting in revised promotion, marketing and PR strategies to bolster demand. This resulted in an impairment on inventories and R&D for a total amount of €9.4M.

-Atari is actively developing new and complementary hardware that will expand and dramatically increase the core functionality of the VCS.

What new and complimentary hardware could be in the works? What new PR strategies could help the VCS? What would you want to see as a VCS owner?

Let's speculate!

Edited by Sabertooth

I can't imagine them moving into the headset realm.  Maybe something that plugs into a USB that plays cartridges?  I'm sure many people here already have this in original versions of the gaming systems or what have you, but for many we don't want to go down that rabbit hole.  I would pick up some old cartridges to play and plus it could play the new XP cartridges and whatever physical releases in the future.  I for one prefer physical versions of games.

1 hour ago, Stlrs95 said:

I can't imagine them moving into the headset realm.  Maybe something that plugs into a USB that plays cartridges?  I'm sure many people here already have this in original versions of the gaming systems or what have you, but for many we don't want to go down that rabbit hole.  I would pick up some old cartridges to play and plus it could play the new XP cartridges and whatever physical releases in the future.  I for one prefer physical versions of games.

That would be cool! 

Plug a cart into your Speakerhat. 🙂

My predictions re: "Hardware"

- Maybe this is the "Windows on a stick" thing that has been around for a while. Would make sense. Atari branded USB 3.0 /Windows 10/11 installed, 500gb or something. I'd probably buy it.
- Could be a graphical hardware/general performance box, something like an external graphics card box.
- Could be a Fight Stick, compatible with PC and the VCS, perhaps with its own system of games, Pi-style. Far out possibility is it is essentially a VCS 2.0, a raw upgrade to the hardware. Honestly maybe they could offer a discount to founders/OG VCS buyers and make it work. I'd probably buy it.