Squad Challenge - Pengo (Atari 5200)

Justin

I'm sad! I played Pengo using an emulator but it didn't want to cooperate with me. It would allow me to play the first round, sometimes two, but then wouldn't progress to the next board. I thought I'd get this worked out in time to get a better score before the Squad Challenge closed but unfortunately I was stuck not being able to move past the first board or two. This was my best score, achieved on August 13th. I'm sharing this in the spirit of having fun with you guys, and only including this as I'm coming in dead last and this won't affect anybody else's high score.

My High Score: 12,180

IMG_4300.JPG

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Kid A!

Congratulations to @Kid A for becoming our first Atari 5200 Squad Champion! We played an fun puzzle game that's harder than you'd think, and everyone showed up with scores to be proud of. @Kid A took the top spot in our Final Standings with an insane score of 169,270 points. Way to go Kid A! @Marco1019 comes in 2nd Place in our Final Standings with a very impressive score of 128,840 points. @Atari 5200 Guy made a strong effort to take the 3rd spot in our Final Standings with his score of 95,220 points. @RickR came in 4th Place with his outstanding score of 41,350. The incredible @TrekMD takes 5th Place on the podium, with a score of 31,980 points. @- Ω - joins High Score Squad for his first Squad Challenge with this game, posting a score of 29,520 to take 6th Place in our Final Standings. I wrap things up for this Squad Challenge with a score of 12,180 points. As always I'd like to encourage Squad Legend and our new champion @Kid A to  post his high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on! Congratulations to Kid A, special thanks once again to @RickR @Sabertooth @- Ω - and @Atari 5200 Guy for nominating this game, and a big congratulations to our wonderful little community for being such a great group to spend time with, I hope everybody had fun playing in our first Atari 5200 Squad Challenge!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad is for the Atari 2600. Be there!

large.final_standings_atari_5200_pengo.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

13 hours ago, Justin said:

I'm sad! I played Pengo using an emulator but it didn't want to cooperate with me. It would allow me to play the first round, sometimes two, but then wouldn't progress to the next board. I thought I'd get this worked out in time to get a better score before the Squad Challenge closed but unfortunately I was stuck not being able to move past the first board or two. This was my best score, achieved on August 13th. I'm sharing this in the spirit of having fun with you guys, and only including this as I'm coming in dead last and this won't affect anybody else's high score.

My High Score: 12,180

IMG_4300.JPG

Which emulator did you use? I'm on Mac OS & had issues playing this one with OpenEmu but found kat5200 via online search. However, I had issues setting up the joystick input so I played via keyboard.

Awesome scores everyone!  See?  The 5200 does have some good quality points about it when it works.  And thank you @- Ω -for joining us.  The more the merrier 😊.  Never be afraid or ashamed of any score.  Post what you have and then  try to improve on it.  Don't let the scores of others scare you away.  That's not what it is about. 

I hope to see all of you in the next challenge.

I had fun with this one in trying the strategy of lining up the diamond blocks on every level.  I didn't get as far, but my score was higher!  I really like how the game does a bonus countdown immediately upon getting the diamond blocks aligned. 

10 hours ago, - Ω - said:

So @RickR what do you think, would this be a suitable game for the next 5200 challenge?

I haven't tried the game yet, but I'm a positive vote for any 5200 high score nomination.  Looks like a fun Tetris clone.  You let me know if you ever want to do a "2 player battle" on this game! 

The only downside I see is that not all members have an Atarimax cart, and I'm not sure 5200 emulation is any good.  So maybe not everyone could participate. 

Maybe a good next step is to have those members WITHOUT an Atarimax list the games they do have so we can pick one that everyone can play. 

1 hour ago, RickR said:

I haven't tried the game yet, but I'm a positive vote for any 5200 high score nomination.  Looks like a fun Tetris clone.  You let me know if you ever want to do a "2 player battle" on this game! 

Heck yeah!  I'll do a two player battle with you!  I'll even start a new thread in the 5200 section today and post a score before FedEx shows up.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

On 8/16/2022 at 9:59 AM, RickR said:

Great Job KidA and Marco and everyone who participated. 

Sorry to hear about the emulation issues, Justin.  Hopefully, that won't prevent us from having a future 5200 challenge.  It was really fun to pull the big beast out for this game.  Thanks!

I agree with this.  I discovered a new favorite 5200 game with Pengo.  This was the most time I spent with the game after owning it for a while now.  

12 hours ago, RickR said:

The only downside I see is that not all members have an Atarimax cart, and I'm not sure 5200 emulation is any good.  So maybe not everyone could participate. 

Maybe a good next step is to have those members WITHOUT an Atarimax list the games they do have so we can pick one that everyone can play. 

I have about 40 5200 games now.  Most are Atari releases but I also have a few PB titles (Q, Popeye, Frogger, Star Wars, Super Cobra), two Sega games (Buck Rogers, Zaxxon), one Activision game (Zone Ranger), and one CBS game (Blue Print).  I don't own an Atarimax cart and 5200 emulation is flakey for me when I'm use to the analog nature of the system.

I'd love to see more ST challenges personally.  It's easily emulated and most games are readily available.  I also think it is an underappreciated system that was overshadowed by the Amiga.  It has some arcade classics on it like Moon Patrol, Joust, Battlezone, Arkanoid, Pacmania, and more.