Squad Challenge - Keystone Kapers (Atari 2600)

Justin

1 hour ago, RickR said:

What is TG?  Can you share that post, I am interested to learn any secrets!

Oh, sorry. TG = Twin Galaxies. One of the max-out runs uploaded to their site was by CWK, who noted the trick involving the elevator.

You can also view ZilchSr's run here, in which he maxed out the game in under 80 minutes:

You can run right at the low bouncing ball & jump over it in one shot. You have two choices with the high bouncing ball: Either stop running for a half beat & then resume while jumping over the ball, or duck and wait until it bounces over you.

When there are two high bouncing balls, you can run straight under the first one and then repeat the choices I listed above.

You really have to be careful with the speedy biplanes. You can only take a few steps before you have to duck, so you're basically inching across the screen.

19 hours ago, Marco1019 said:

Oh, sorry. TG = Twin Galaxies. One of the max-out runs uploaded to their site was by CWK, who noted the trick involving the elevator.

You can also view ZilchSr's run here, in which he maxed out the game in under 80 minutes:

You can run right at the low bouncing ball & jump over it in one shot. You have two choices with the high bouncing ball: Either stop running for a half beat & then resume while jumping over the ball, or duck and wait until it bounces over you.

When there are two high bouncing balls, you can run straight under the first one and then repeat the choices I listed above.

You really have to be careful with the speedy biplanes. You can only take a few steps before you have to duck, so you're basically inching across the screen.

How interesting and thank you for sharing.  I guess I would summarize it as "maximize the amount of time left when you catch the crook by using the elevator to get to the second floor".  I will try more and see if I can at least get to the patch score.

19 minutes ago, RickR said:

How interesting and thank you for sharing.  I guess I would summarize it as "maximize the amount of time left when you catch the crook by using the elevator to get to the second floor".  I will try more and see if I can at least get to the patch score.

Yes, because the crook will run back and magically appear on the 2nd floor (despite the escalator only going up). You can catch the crook on the 3rd floor heading right if you time it well. Otherwise, you're stuck and will likely run out of time.

22 hours ago, socrates63 said:

First run (playing on the Atari Flashback Portable). Those double balls 🤬

I've also attached a photo of my copy that was signed by Garry a few years ago. I think it was the last PRGE before the covid shutdown.

IMG_1666.JPG.839e1866300d61a22849b17a4faa0f15.JPG

IMG_1668.JPG.6f4f114a388d42010a2dba98db1d5a43.JPG

The low-bouncing double balls are annoying. The high-bouncing double balls are much easier as you can run right under the first one.

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Marco1019!

Congratulations to @Marco1019 for becoming our first Activision Keystone Kapers Squad Champion! @Marco1019 ran away with this Squad Challenge! Marco takes the top spot in our Final Standings with an insane score of 293,600 points. Way to go Marco! @greenween comes in 2nd Place in our Final Standings with a very impressive score of 34,600 points. @RickR made a strong showing, taking the 3rd spot in our Final Standings with his score of 23,250 points. We're pleased to have @socrates63 join us again in High Score Squad, taking 4th Place with his outstanding score of 17,500 points. The incredible @Atari 5200 Guy takes 5th Place on the podium, with a score of 16,700 points. The Doctor is in the house, @TrekMD As always I'd like to encourage @Marco1019 to  post his high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on! Congratulations to Marco, and a big congratulations to our wonderful little community for being such a great group to spend time with, I hope everybody had fun playing in our first Atari 5200 Squad Challenge!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad is for the NES. Be there!

large.final_standings_nes_donkey_kong_jr.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Thank you all for your very kind words. There was a few parts to this game which came back to me when I started playing it again. I haven't had much free time lately (I took this afternoon off to get a jump on the holiday weekend), but maybe I'll get back to it and aim for the max-out. It'll take a long while so finding free time is the real challenge.