Remember the days... Calling the BBS

- Ω -

1 hour ago, Amis said:

Hey Guys - not to worry the BBS was not down or crashed.. Might have just been busy as its a single user at a time.. I do have busy messages on each of the BBS's but for some reason the emulators don't alway pick it up... Also, yeah we see about 400 users a month and the user log can be pretty big for 30 days.. You can always use CNTR S or X to break just like the old days on a text file.. 

As I said, I didn't do it maliciously. I'm NOT actually versed much at all on Atari 8-bit computers as I never had one growing up and didn't know anyone that did back then. I grew up specifically on MS-DOS on IBM compatibles only and so that is all I really know and remember. We have a dedicated break function on the keyboard but wasn't aware of the Atari equivalent else I would have tried that.

So yeah for me, all the stuff I did in BBS land back in the early 90s was on my IBM setup using some specific ANSI Terminal I had that I really liked. I have NO idea what it was I used back then though LOL!

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

6 hours ago, CrossBow said:

As I said, I didn't do it maliciously. I'm NOT actually versed much at all on Atari 8-bit computers as I never had one growing up and didn't know anyone that did back then. I grew up specifically on MS-DOS on IBM compatibles only and so that is all I really know and remember. We have a dedicated break function on the keyboard but wasn't aware of the Atari equivalent else I would have tried that.

So yeah for me, all the stuff I did in BBS land back in the early 90s was on my IBM setup using some specific ANSI Terminal I had that I really liked. I have NO idea what it was I used back then though LOL!

All good and glad you not a peek at the atari side of the bbs world.. 90's IBM set up wasn't that procomm or something for the ANSI terminal? Well most people use SyncTerm today as its easy quick and emulates Atascii, Petscii, ANSI, etc. on Mac or Windows.. 

Edited by Amis

www.southernamis.com - The Southern Amis Projects: BBS’s

southernamis.ddns.net:23                          amis86.ddns.net:9000                           nitelite.ddns.net:9000

2 hours ago, Amis said:

All good and glad you not a peak at the atari side of the bbs world.. 90's IBM set up wasn't that procomm or something for the ANSI terminal? Well most people use SyncTerm today as its easy quick and emulates Atascii, Petscii, ANSI, etc. on Mac or Windows.. 

Might have been Procomm. Again, I can't recall exactly. Once cable modem service was available to me, I haven't touched dial up or BBS sites since LOL!

I do remember Roboterm for a bit as it had a hi res EGA terminal and character graphics it could use on sites that supported it. 

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

2 hours ago, Amis said:

Well most people use SyncTerm today as its easy quick and emulates Atascii, Petscii, ANSI, etc. on Mac or Windows

I experimented with SyncTerm yesterday but got really confused on getting it to work.  It's funny the stuff we forget.  After Atari, I'm pretty sure I did use procomm on an IBM clone. 

3 hours ago, RickR said:

I experimented with SyncTerm yesterday but got really confused on getting it to work.  It's funny the stuff we forget.  After Atari, I'm pretty sure I did use procomm on an IBM clone. 

Here is the profile for SyncTerm - F2 to create the profile from a blank line on the left (Directory) - Kinda like building the address book

image.png.7fa4f21aa6e45255b681d01bd7555382.png

www.southernamis.com - The Southern Amis Projects: BBS’s

southernamis.ddns.net:23                          amis86.ddns.net:9000                           nitelite.ddns.net:9000