Recharged Squad Challenge 008 - Donut Dodo

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

DONUT DODO
Atari VCS
Controller: MODERN / CLASSIC /
PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: EASY-MEDIUM
Play on: Real Hardware ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST October 31, 2022

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between October 1st through October 31, 2022.  Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

This is a Club VCS Exclusive Challenge. All Club VCS players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real Atari VCS hardware. Choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

We are playing Donut Dodo in the "EASY-MEDIUM" mode. Play as long as you can for the highest score possible!

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our eighth Club VCS Recharged Squad Challenge!!! For this challenge we're taking a detour from Atari-published titles to check out the terrific indie game Donut Dodo!

From developer Pixel Games: Donut Dodo is a light-hearted arcade game, reminiscent of the beloved classics from the early 80's that we still cherish to this very day. You play as Baker Billy Burns, who has to run, jump, and climb to outwit Donut Dodo and his bunch of clueless minions. Your goal is to collect all donuts in each level, in the best possible time!

Donut Dodo would have stood proudly next to arcade classics like Donkey Kong, Popeye and Burger Time.  We're playing EASY-MEDIUM so that everyone can play.  If you're a fan of the golden age of the arcades, I hope that you'll join us in the challenge.

Club VCS Recharged Squad Giveaway

This is the third round of our second Club VCS Recharged Squad Challenge Giveaway!

1)  All challenge participants will receive one (1) entry for each challenge in which they submit a valid score!

2) The top scorer of each challenge will receive two (2) additional entries - for a total of three (3) entries in a single challenge!

3) On Twitch or Youtube?  Stream or record and post your ClubVCS high score attempt for one (1) additional entry in each round.  You must post a public link to the video in the Challenge.

BUT ARE THERE BUTTONS? 

Yes! We've made another set of ClubVCS buttons to celebrate the games in this series. There will be two ways to get a button set.

1) Win a challenge.

2) Post a valid score to all challenges in the 5 game series.

Only one button set will be mailed per member during the series.

This contest is open to everybody, including Atari I/O Moderators, with a U.S. or Canada  mailing address. It's really easy, all you have to do is participate be a Club VCS member and participate in our Recharged Squad Challenges.

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Edited by Sabertooth

Nice scores!  I picked it up last night for the first time in forever.  Definitely going to take a bit of time to get back on track.  The tough part is going for the points on some of the levels.  The Candy Shop and Dodo's Lair I have trouble going in order to maximize points.  Dodo's Lair most of the time I just say screw it and just try to complete it.  There have been times I have lost 5 or 6 lives on that damn level.  😝

default_pole_position_blimp_big.gifCongratulations STIRRELL!

Congratulations to @stirrell, the winner of our Donut Dodo Recharged Squad Challenge! 🍩🦤

@stirrell makes an impressive debut at ClubVCS to take the top spot on the Squad Challenge podium with a phenomenal 1st Place score of 251,617!  @Stlrs95 showed his donut grabbing prowess, placing second with and impressive score of 209,064.  @Mockduck finished third with a sugary sweet score of 177,551.  @Sabertooth, @RickR and @Yorkies TV rounded at the board with scores of 44,077, 22,105 and 19,752, respectively.

As the winner of this round @stirrell will receive a set of Recharged Squad buttons and 3 entries in the controller giveaway! In addition, Donut Dodo developer Pixel Games has generously offered to send a signed, sealed copy of Sir Lovelot for the Switch to the winner of this challenge!

@Mockduckwill receive two entries since he posted his attempt via YouTube.  Everyone else will receive one entry!

I'd like to encourage @stirrell to post his high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on!

Thanks also to @Marco1019 for getting the word out about this challenge! 

Screenshot_20221101_162559_Firefox.jpg

Congratulations to stirrell on his big win!  And a big congratulations to the rest of the Squad!  Donut Dodo is an excellent homage to the golden age of arcade gaming.  It could easily stand alongside giants like Popeye, Donkey Kong and Burgertime in any early-80s arcade.  I encourage every VCS owner to give it a try!

NOTE: Our next Recharged Squad Challenge is Gravitar: Recharged! Be there!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif.1477e13df3b11a4b12f5c8b15459a89f.gif

RSC 08 1NOV2022.jpg

Edited by Sabertooth