Squad Challenge - Pitfall! (Atari 2600)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Pitfall!
Atari 2600
Controller: JOYSTICK / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Default
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST October 14th, 2022

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between October 1st through October 14th, 2022. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

There are no difficulty levels in Pitfall! As the manual says, "Difficulty switches and the game select switch are not used in Pitfall! Each game is many games in one, with many difficulties to overcome." 

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 136th Squad Challenge!!! For this challenge we're playing one of the greatest Atari 2600 games of all time - Pitfall! Pitfall was designed by the legendary David Crane at Activision in 1982. Can you navigate Pitfall Harry through the rolling logs, across the crocodiles, and jumping from vine to vine? Apologies to all for the delay in posting this Squad Challenge, I have evacuated my home during Hurricane Ian and even here have been without power, internet, cable, and cell phone reception until recently. We of course are prepared for Hurricane season to come every year, but cannot control the extent to which we are without power or have to evacuate. Otherwise everything is fine with me and we will continue on! ROM and Instruction Manual are provided below. I hope you all have fun, and good luck to everybody participating!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Pitfall!.pdf Pitfall!.A26

:pow_big:

Please remember to TYPE OUT YOUR HIGH SCORE when posting to High Score Squad! We want to get your score right, and prevent mistakes. Scores can be blurry in photos, tricky on the eyes, or hidden deep within play-through videos. Claiming your score 100% prevents confusion.

42994. I played on OpenEmu which uses the Stella core.

I haven't played this game in a few decades. I don't recall the patterns (there's more than one; I recall a pattern from a magazine in which you go underground on the first screen...maybe I'll look for it on the Internet Archive) so I mostly stayed above ground. I nicked my foot on my last life. I blame the wine lol. I may give this another go before the deadline.

20221005 2600 Pitfall 42994.jpg

New PB: 58889. I also found the pattern I referred to previously alongside another pattern which has you going to the right. You can check both guides here:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/atari2600/584972-pitfall/faqs

20221006 2600 Stella Pitfall 58889.jpg

Edited by Marco1019
Updated link reflecting both guides on GameFAQS.

8 minutes ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Here...i found this.

image.png.c421741770b2282b67e6d83de978e283.png

I'm following the statement at the bottom.  Start by going right until screen 12 then us underground passage going left then continue going left for remainder of game except where mentioned.

I believe this aligns with No Swear Gamer's vieeo which I linked earlier today. Now let's max this one out!

36 minutes ago, Stlrs95 said:

I don't know, to me it seems like cheating.  I am SO CONFLICTED!!!!!  😕

I'm on the same thought pattern as you.  I haven't done the map or guides, but went with the two shortcuts I remember from my youth.  I'm not sure I want to follow a guide, but it would be cool to finish the game I guess.  In any case, I am happy that I went further than kid-me ever did, mostly by being patient and careful.  

2 minutes ago, Stlrs95 said:

I still have trouble at the crocodiles

THIS is where a little patience allowed me to go much further.  Tip for the crocodiles if going left is below, hidden for those that don't like spoilers.

Spoiler

When going left, just jump onto the first crocodile.  The default length of the jump will always put you right on the eye.  So jump and stay still.  Then wait for the mouths to close and immediately 3-jump to the left.  Works every time.  No deaths.  

Jump....wait...Jump, Jump, Jump.   Just like that.

2 hours ago, Stlrs95 said:

Not sure if i'll beat this one, my PB so far - 55577

I have stayed away from the video and now I see there is a map as well.  I don't know, to me it seems like cheating.  I am SO CONFLICTED!!!!!  😕

Pitfall 55577.jpg

I understand your feelings and viewpoint. However, such strategy guides and hints were published about 40 years ago. I recall one magazine which detailed how to complete Raiders of the Lost Ark for the 2600.