Recharged Squad Challenge 009 - Gravitar: Recharged

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

GRAVITAR: RECHARGED
Atari VCS
Controller: MODERN / CLASSIC /
PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: ARCADE MODE
Play on: Real Hardware ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST November 30, 2022

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between November 1st through November 30, 2022.  Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

This is a Club VCS Exclusive Challenge. All Club VCS players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real Atari VCS hardware. Choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

We are playing Gravitar: Recharged in the "ARCADE" mode. Play as long as you can for the highest score possible!

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our ninth Club VCS Recharged Squad Challenge!!! For this challenge we're taking on Gravitar: Recharged!

Gravitar: Recharged is a modern take on Gravitar, the 1982 arcade game.  The original Gravitar combined the thrust and rotate control of shooters like Asteroids with the gravity physics of Lunar Lander.  It was a difficult game that required precise control.  While not a huge success for Atari, it did receive a release on the 2600.  

Gravitar: Recharged taps down the overall difficulty of its predecessor, improves controls and updates the graphics.  The first of the second wave of Recharged series titles, it introduces a new graphic style and optional score modifiers in Arcade mode.  

Test your skills as a pilot on your way to a high score in this squad challenge!

Club VCS Recharged Squad Giveaway

This is the fourth game of our second Club VCS Recharged Squad Challenge Giveaway!

1)  All challenge participants will receive one (1) entry for each challenge in which they submit a valid score!

2) The top scorer of each challenge will receive two (2) additional entries - for a total of three (3) entries in a single challenge!

3) On Twitch or Youtube?  Stream or record and post your ClubVCS high score attempt for one (1) additional entry in each round.  You must post a public link to the video in the Challenge.

BUT ARE THERE BUTTONS? 

Yes! We've made another set of ClubVCS buttons to celebrate the games in this series. There will be two ways to get a button set.

1) Win a challenge.

2) Post a valid score to all challenges in the 5 game series.

Only one button set will be mailed per member during the series.

This contest is open to everybody, including Atari I/O Moderators, with a U.S. or Canada  mailing address. It's really easy, all you have to do is participate be a Club VCS member and participate in our Recharged Squad Challenges.

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Edited by Sabertooth

18 hours ago, RickR said:

Oh cool!  I actually own this one already although I haven't played it much. 

Yep, I have this one as well.  Like you I haven't played it much, maybe 5 minutes if that.  I have no idea what i'm doing in Gravitar, it took me a couple of minutes to figure out that you were supposed to fly into the planets to start different stages.  At first I was trying to avoid them.  🤦‍♂️

9 hours ago, Mockduck said:

I have to admit this is one of my personally least favorite Recharged games, although the game itself is high quality. I find the repetitiveness and pace of the game to be...slow, and the difficulty walls frustrating. I'll give it a shot though for the competition!

I feel I really need to be in the mood to play because it is such a slow, methodical game that takes a lot of patience and takes time to get to later levels. But I suppose the original arcade is very similar in that respect. But the arcade game is so tough I never last very long!

I think I prefer Thrustlander because of the huge number of levels and you can continue from your furthest point. But I think Gravitar is really well done and is a solid game.

I wanted to mention that davpa from Atari livestreamed his run at the Gravitar high score yesterday:

https://www.twitch.tv/atari_vcs

He said he will probably play it again today. Yesterday he started streaming around 3:30 EST. Actually, just saw in the Discord that he plans to start at 5PM EST. Please go distract him so he doesn't best my score 😃.

Edited by stirrell

32 minutes ago, stirrell said:

I wanted to mention that davpa from Atari livestreamed his run at the Gravitar high score yesterday:

https://www.twitch.tv/atari_vcs

He said he will probably play it again today. Yesterday he started streaming around 3:30 EST. Actually, just saw in the Discord that he plans to start at 5PM EST. Please go distract him so he doesn't best my score 😃.

This is very helpful for me...just watching someone else play helps alleviate the issue of having no manual.  Thanks for posting it.

Question for everyone:  Which controller are you using?  I've been using the modern, but davpa uses the classic.  It looks to be more precise in aiming.  I think I might give that a try.