Squad Challenge - Space Harrier 2 (Sega Genesis)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Space Harrier II
Sega Genesis
Controller: CONTROL PAD / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Normal
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST November 14th, 2022
Nominated by @btbfilms76

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between November 1st through November 14th, 2022. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

We're playing Space Harrier II on the "Normal" difficulty level, which provides for a moderately difficult level of gameplay suitable for adults. Additional settings for Rapid Fire and Direction are open to Players' Choice. Select what works best for you and have fun!

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 138th Squad Challenge!!! For this challenge we're playing one of the greatest launch titles for the Sega Genesis, Space Harrier II! Space Harrier II was a launch title for the Sega Genesis, and was extremely impressive at the time. It remains very fun to play today, and was a direct sequel to the original 1985 Space Harrier arcade game which had also been released on the Sega Master System. Like with the original Space Harrier, Space Harrier II was also designed by the legendary Yu Suzuki.

Space Harrier was one of Sega's famous super-scaler games that used scaled 2D sprites to approximate 3D graphics, and despite the Genesis's comparatively weak processing power, Space Harrier II did a solid job at recreating the look and feel of the iconic coin-op shooter. The controls are tight and the gameplay feels faithful. Your hero nimbly zips across the screen ready to blast everything to kingdom come, and the speed with which the game moves creates some intense moments - it can be thoroughly exciting to weave through the rows of pillars and trees that regularly get in your way. You can choose to play the stages in any order you like, but all twelve of the main stages have to be finished before you can head into the final boss-rush area. Once every few stages you'll also get to play a bonus round in which your hero takes to a hoverboard to blast stuff for points and 1-Ups, and not being able to die in these segments makes for a nice diversion from the main game. Space Harrier II shows a few of the Sega Genesis quirks, as you are limited to just four shots on-screen at any time. The fix here is simple - don't miss when you shoot - but that can be difficult! Another quirk is the frame rate, which is not ideal. Space Harrier II was an absolute blast to play when it was first released, and was a real showcase for the power of the new 16-bit Sega Genesis.

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Space Harrier II.md Space Harrier II.pdf

:pow_big:

Please remember to TYPE OUT YOUR HIGH SCORE when posting to High Score Squad! We want to get your score right, and prevent mistakes. Scores can be blurry in photos, tricky on the eyes, or hidden deep within play-through videos. Claiming your score 100% prevents confusion.

3 hours ago, greenween said:

My first time ever playing this game. I was surprised to find I have it on PS4. Very fun and impressive for the Genesis. 1,876,600. Working a lot the next 4 days but I'll be all over it after that. 🙂

313971440_664172002091032_2318734071337665294_n.jpg

The Genesis Collection on PS4 is really such a great value. That's how I'm playing too!

12 hours ago, RickR said:

I also have never played this game until now.  It's fun! 

SO AWESOME to hear that @RickR!! High Score Squad is all about sampling different retro games, discovering great classics that we somehow missed and rediscovering common games and enjoying them in a new light, all in an environment of friendly competition among friends in Squad. I only ever had Space Harrier on Sega Master System, and a Squad Challenge like this is a good opportunity to try something I never got to play back in the day. Glad you enjoyed this one!

Justin
This post was recognized by Justin!

"Played in a Sega Genesis Squad Challenge!"

btbfilms76 was awarded the badge 'Genesis Squad' and 10 points.

Ok I’m done for today. Got to the boss rush and died at the Dark Harrier. 

82F7C819-5F4E-4E49-8E4B-6B266C6468E0.jpeg

CD051BDB-F031-4996-8117-0E3A5F85E345.jpeg

030AFACC-7BA9-4E2A-9FA2-E65EB674A078.png

Host of The Jag Bar • Lynx Lounge  7800 Avenue

:youtube: Watch now on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrhPvmALbHpBUqrbBOms5Vw