Squad Challenge - Frogger Double Feature (Atari 2600)

Justin

You know what would be really cool?  A side by side challenge.  All those ads from Atari showing the 2600 & 5200 ports of arcade hits?  It would be neat to have a head to head 2600 vs 5200 type challenge.  If we play a game on the 2600 and it is on the 5200 and 7800 then include those as well.  Just a thought.

8 minutes ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

You know what would be really cool?  A side by side challenge.  All those ads from Atari showing the 2600 & 5200 ports of arcade hits?  It would be neat to have a head to head 2600 vs 5200 type challenge.  If we play a game on the 2600 and it is on the 5200 and 7800 then include those as well.  Just a thought.

@Atari 5200 Guy Yes! I love doing things like that! We did that a few years ago with a Crystal Castles Double Feature, playing Crystal Castles on Atari 2600, alongside the original arcade version of Crystal Castles. You were the first to join in!

We also did a Devil's Crush pinball Double Feature on TurboGrafx-16 and Sega Genesis (Dragon's Fury) where it was fun to compare the differences between the two games. It seemed like that was one of the times where TurboGrafx-16 won out:

On 11/18/2022 at 3:06 PM, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I forgot about that.  Well, can we also include the 5200's Frogger? 

Lets do this: keep it simple. If you’d like to share Frogger scores from other systems, go for it! Whatever is fun. Officially this remains a double feature for the 2600 Parker Bros and Starpath versions of Frogger. Having too much going on at once can get messy and overwhelming for everybody, especially keeping track of scores across multiple different platforms. (Super time consuming!) but it's fun and engaging sharing interesting pictures and scores on a game that’s been on so many systems. Share what you’d like, if it becomes competitive and others jump in, I’ll do my best to tally up those scores too!

6 hours ago, RickR said:

Doesn't count, but pretty amazing. 

PXL_20221120_164830987.MP.jpg

@RickR I love it! Vectrex is entirely underrated and sometimes completely forgotten.

1 hour ago, RickR said:

I'm having a lot of trouble with the "freeway" section of the game.  Once the game speeds up, that's where I lose all my lives.  You all let me know if have any tips other than "Don't get run over".  🙂  

This probably isn't much less obvious than saying "Don't get run over" - but the strategy I've found works best for me is not hesitating to "take two steps forward and one step back". Quite often I have to take a step back, move further down the screen, and try another move at advancing up the screen. I lose some precious seconds, but I keep my lives and live on to fight another round. It's okay to take a step or two back, so long as you see a path worth taking.

1 hour ago, Justin said:

This probably isn't much less obvious than saying "Don't get run over" - but the strategy I've found works best for me is not hesitating to "take two steps forward and one step back". Quite often I have to take a step back, move further down the screen, and try another move at advancing up the screen. I lose some precious seconds, but I keep my lives and live on to fight another round. It's okay to take a step or two back, so long as you see a path worth taking.

Very helpful.  Thanks.  There tends to be one or two slow lanes that you can stop and take a short breather, but I'm I usually end up running right into that horrid serpent if I do make it.  

52 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

I look at the spacing between the vehicles in a lane and try to find a path that I can quickly jump through.  This may mean going backwards or even sideways at times! 

@TrekMD @RickR

This is my strategy exactly, but with the added measure of running right or left with the "traffic". Then I can take a step back, let a path become clear, and then go for it. If you watched me play you'd see I move more like a lion than a frog. Sit and wait for the right opportunity and then pounce.

On 11/20/2022 at 7:27 PM, RickR said:

I'm having a lot of trouble with the "freeway" section of the game.  Once the game speeds up, that's where I lose all my lives.  You all let me know if have any tips other than "Don't get run over".  🙂  

Yep.  One.  This froggy can't swim so stay out of the water.  How can you have a frog that can't swim.  Of course I'm only being sarcastic here.

For added points...the three small logs have a pattern.  Every other pass those logs make from left to right will have a female frog.  She will be on the last log to come from the left.  Pick her up and hop in a cave for bonus points.  I have also found it best practice with each new stage to watch it for a few seconds and see how everything moves.  Cars move this way, logs and turtles move that way.  Watch the mechanics of the game.  That should help some.