Squad Challenge - 2022 F-ZERO Christmas Challenge (Super Nintendo)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

F-ZERO
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Controller: CONTROL PAD / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Grand Prix > Knight League > Standard Class > Mute City I
Bonus Challenge: Grand Prix > Knight League > Standard Class > Silence
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST December 31, 2022
Nominated by @Justin and @Atari 5200 Guy 

Objective

Play for the best possible time using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between December 1st through December 31st, 2022. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the fastest time at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

Grand Prix > Knight League > Standard Class > Mute City I. This will be the 1st Circuit on Knight League, which will appear first when you begin your game. We are playing for the best overall time to complete the circuit at Mute City I. At the title screen select GRAND PRIX. Players may select any air car they wish. Next, select the League and class in which you wish to race. Players will select KNIGHT LEAGUE, then STANDARD CLASS. This will start you at Mute City I. For the primary Squad Challenge, we only need to post our scores for Mute City I. You do not have to play the rest of the courses unless you want to. The main Challenge is for the best overall time to complete the circuit at Mute City I.

Bonus Challenge

Grand Prix > Knight League > Standard Class > Silence. We are holding a BONUS CHALLENGE this year! If you complete Knight League and post a time for the Silence Circuit (the final course in Knight League) you can post your score as part of our Bonus Challenge. At the Final Standings we will be posting scores for both Mute City I AND Silence Circuits, similar to a Double Feature like we just did with our Frogger challenge. If submitting a score for the Bonus Challenge, please denote your score as being for the SILENCE Course. Silence is the 5th and last Circuit on Knight League, which will appear after you have successfully completed your race through the previous four Circuits in Knight League, which starts with Mute City I (as explained above).

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 140th Squad Challenge! This year we're celebrating the holidays and bringing in the new year with a visit back to where it all began, at Mute City I in F-ZERO on Super Nintendo, a true SNES classic! We are also holding a BONUS CHALLENGE for the Silence Circuit at the end of Knight League. I have wonderful Christmas memories of F-ZERO, I received the game with my SNES when I was not expecting much of anything for Christmas. The game brought my family a lot of fun and joy that year, and I love playing F-ZERO around Christmas. For years it's become a bit of a Christmas tradition in my house to play F-ZERO and a few other SNES Classics during the Holidays, and now it's become a tradition every year in the forums too, something special I like to share with all of you. ☃️❄️🎄 F-ZERO is one of the iconic titles on Super Nintendo, and it served as a great demonstration of the Super Nintendo's Mode 7 graphics. F-ZERO was a predecessor to anti-gravity racing leagues such as Wip3out (and probably pod racing!). PDF F-ZERO Instruction Booklet is attached below. Good luck, racers!

NOTE: Per conversations with @RickR and other members, we chose to make this a MONTH-LONG SQUAD CHALLENGE to give everybody time to join in and play during the Holiday Season! I hope you enjoy the game!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

F-ZERO.pdf