RE: Colecovision controllers

MaximumRD

😎Just some musings on controllers, not selling or anything. These are my spares as I have only a single Colecovision console with the controllers connected, not sure I've tested all but good to have. Oddly I love the look more of the ADAM controllers for the color even though I don't have an ADAM they are also in the best condition. Also, if that like a ferrite magnet thing I am pointing to on the Adam controller cord? I've seen such things on various controllers and power adaptors over the years, what do they do? Is it for grounding purposes? Were they always on ADAM controllers? I've never seen them on any regular Colecovision controllers. Lastly, I have this Suncom controller for Colecovision, the cord is not in the greatest shape and it's pretty worn over all but I think it works last time I tested. They made a few of these type of touch controllers, it's not like a Intellivision Disc, I think it's just like a membrane over some circuity where just a slight touch registers movement, some people hate these type for any console however I don't find them too bad once you get use to them though they are not as accurate for 4 way movement for like say a maze game like mousetrap or Ladybug but they can be cool for game that require diagonal movement as well. I think it may be somewhat rare at least I never see them much.

317927520_1309081419914679_3851897290694506149_n.jpg

318460406_1176547292949205_7431611783266966893_n.jpg

318359814_541138757563185_2946180580301131096_n.jpg

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

5 minutes ago, MaximumRD said:

Also, if that like a ferrite magnet thing I am pointing to on the Adam controller cord? I've seen such things on various controllers and power adaptors over the years, what do they do? Is it for grounding purposes? Were they always on ADAM controllers?

That is called an electrical choke.  It's essentially a couple of magnets in that cylindrical shape.  The purpose is to minimize interference.  My best guess would be that the Adam computer was very sensitive to electrical interference, even from those low power controllers.