Any ATARI JR. owners?

MaximumRD

Of course I am the biggest fan of the OG models, woodgrain, Vader, 4 switch, 6 switch, I have them all except a HEAVY SIXER and I am good but over my years of collecting I DID acquire a couple of Atari Jr. models. Now I THINK it's the PAL model that had the cool BLACK label on the Jr?, or at least that is one variation, also differences in the Atari logo / Rainbow from what I have seen, I am no expert here. My two models appear pretty much the same but apparently from what I have learned elsewhere one may have been the 1-Chip Rev , I think near end of the run a reduced cost version, I submitted various images first just of the consoles but just recently I opened both up as well to show the boards. Thought I might share all those images here as well and ask if anyone else has these or different looking variations, show what you got in image or video form, no need to disassemble in fact would be happy to see just the logos / stickers etc. If you don't have any feel free to still participate with nay thoughts, discussion, stories, memories based around the Jr. I never had one back in the day, might have moved on to other interests by the time the hit the scene but I really gained some appreciation for them of late, cute little machines. 😎🙂

Here are both of them, outside appearance they appear the same though I can tell one is heavier by hand I did weight them to confirm.

3.jpg

The lighter model - assembled weight = 1lb 2.1oz / 512g

(IS IT JUST MISSING THE SHEILDING OR WAS NEVER PRESENT?)

397DCA65-CC76-4F38-8A14-183CE2D20302.jpeg

The heavier model - assembled weight = 1lb 6.5 oz  /  640g

5221E45A-3864-410C-88B7-C3C4B342F10C.jpeg

And the underside of the board on this heavier model. 

BE17B374-23F4-4D92-AC6F-D93AA7B10E36.jpeg

I kind of have interest retesting them with my Harmony cart soon. 🤔

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

I'm a big fan of the Jr. from an industrial design standpoint. It really looks sharp and timeless in a way most hardware does not.

That all black variation was the Irish market version IIRC. I've always wanted to get my mits on one of those!

Going to take a guess that the RF shield is just missing from the top pic. The tab locations are still visible.

Anyway,great to see some appreciation for the Jr!

Awesome guys! Thanks for the info and replies. 🙂

At some point I will test them again, check which has the better RF output, these days I don't have the spare $$$$ for modding etc but my Colecovision has decent RF out and I use a nice little 14 inch Toshiba TV I found some time ago that works great with surprisingly nice display. 😎I don't have a ton of original carts but definitely some good ones but thankfully I've a HARMONY cart so I can load up a lot of titles. Yeah the all black variation is really nice looking and they really do still stand up in terms of design whereas the original models definitely look of the era but that's why we love those as well. 

Edited by MaximumRD

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

I will take pics of mine together but I think both of mine are of the heavy junior models.  I don't think mine are single chip designs.  As much as I like my woody I go to the junior models more.  I simply like the smaller design and it was what I spent my very first paycheck on.  I shared my first paycheck from Sonic when I was 16 on my Mom and myself.  She got a new bikini and perfume she had been after and I spotted a junior and games on a clearance rack at an Alco store in my hometown.  I spent $50 on that system and a couple of games.  I had a blast with it!  That was during summer after 8th grade so 1988 was when I got it.  That might be why I tend to favor the Jr models more because instead of buying a Nintendo game I bought an Atari junior and some games for roughly the same price.  

Goodness. That was over 30 years ago!  My time has flown.  It really is no surprise how well the 2600 has maintained a following all these years later.  There's a lot of solid game play on one no matter what model is being used.  Personally I prefer the large rainbow model.  The short rainbow variation looks to plain to me.  The smaller design of the juniors, however, really kept a wedge design that the 5200 and 7800 used.  It seemed to fit in better with it's siblings IMO.

I've got a junior model that someone gave me years ago. It is up in the lab area and works as far as I remember but I have no love for the Jr model personally. At the time it was released, I had my 7800 and felt overall it was a better looking design over the new 2600 look. And... I guess to me the 2600 will always be that larger system with the big switches and woodgrain. When I think Atari 2600, that is what I have in my mind instantly is the 4 switch woody that I grew up with in the early 80s. I had a friend of mine that bought that 'Under 50 bucks' Jr model and newer released games and sure we had fun on it still. But again, It just isn't iconic to me in the way the other models are.

Now....as in back then... I just use my 7800 for all of my 2600/7800 gaming needs.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

I have an Atari 2600 "Short Rainbow" game system. I can show pics later. It has some damage on it because it fell off a shelf, but it still works perfectly. I tried to glue it back together, and it looks OK, but some of the pieces of the shell look wonky. It has pieces missing from when it broke. I was thinking about repairing it. I had heard one can use super glue and baking soda to make a strong polymer-like seal. I could try that, but I don't want to ruin its value either.

By the way, TrekMD, the Heavy Sixer was the first A2600 console to come out. It was named that because of its heavy RF shield. The Light Sixer came next after that, named appropriately because it is lighter. You can tell a Heavy Sixer not just by its weight, but by its wood-grain finish. It has a cantilevered finish that looks curved in the front. I think the cantilever was removed in the Light Sixer's cosmetic design, but I don't know this for sure. Thanks for letting me share that. :)

On 12/14/2022 at 9:06 PM, RickR said:

Here is my Jr, which I use as my daily-driver 2600. It has a composite mod. 

PXL_20221215_050426274.jpg

Just to add a bit to my response...

The reason I use the Jr. the most is because of it's compact size, given limited space in my "gaming credenza".  I do prefer the look of the classic VCS/2600 more, but it is a lot bigger.  The 2600jr has all the same functionality and it even has an improvement with the power LED.  And the composite out looks great. 

3 hours ago, DegasElite said:

Just to clarify, the Light Sixer does look different on the front than the Heavy Sixer. The Light has no cantilever, as I thought. The Heavy Sixer is also known as the Woody due to the wood-grain finish. Thanks for letting me clarify. 🙂

I have a light sixer and a 4 switch woody but no Heavy Sixer which is fine. Also have  a Vader model, all in decent condition. 

- M. Bison

8 hours ago, RickR said:

Here's what I have left:

• My orig boxed 4 switch woody
  • A Vader with composite mod
  • A Sunnyvale light-sixer
  • The Jr pictured above.

I've sold off (or given away) all of the others.  I'm sure a lot of us are the same...we have too many 2600's.  But so what?  It's a harmless thing to collect. 

Collecting them for future WALL-E bots to play and enjoy.  Plus it never hurts to have back ups.  And, I already have pics on here of my 2 juniors.

IMG_20210813_133753.jpg.2f24b7ff309347a210cd31df759d4ae5.jpg

The left model my wife and I ordered from collector's cards and games as a non working unit 13 years ago.  The right model is from a very dear friend and was to be a parts unit to repair the left one.  Turns out it worked ok and the other unit fixed itself somehow.  The one on the right is in better overall condition and still looked fairly new.  It's my go to unit.

3 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Collecting them for future WALL-E bots to play and enjoy.  Plus it never hurts to have back ups.

Right!  I can tell you that I've downsized this area a LOT.  Gemini, heavy sixers (both orig and Sears), a Sears super video arcade, intellivision and colecovision add-on modules...all have been sold. 

The ones I've kept all either have huge sentimental value or I use them a lot. 

5 hours ago, RickR said:

Right!  I can tell you that I've downsized this area a LOT.  Gemini, heavy sixers (both orig and Sears), a Sears super video arcade, intellivision and colecovision add-on modules...all have been sold. 

Not me...LOL. I've got at least a half dozen different 2600 systems scattered around the house...yes scattered in that I know I have a vader and h6 in one room, a 4 switch in unknown condition in a close in that same room with some games. A Sears h6 that works in the telegames branded storage case in one part of the game room that is never used, another 2600 4 switch that is CIB and worked when I last checked it, plus the Jr I've got up in the lab, and pretty sure there is another Atari h6 in a bin by itself in the close in the game room also. That is just what I remember off the top of my head. 

I'm almost as bad in the Intellivision side of things. I've got fully working Tandyvision, Sylvania GTE model, Intellivision II, and not one, but two Sears Super Arcades. I've got another Sears unit that works but needs controllers and lots of TLC cleanup that is in the parts section along with an original 2609 that is strictly a parts unit.

I've also got at least 4 5200 consoles... all 4 port units and working.

I've got a spare or two of each console I play and collect for with the exception of my SMS, TurboDUO and Jag. Although I do have a Core Grafx II and US TG-16 consoles I can play games on.

I do need to downsize when I think about it.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

11 hours ago, RickR said:

I envy you in that department. I swear if I could turn back time I'd have collected far differently. OF COURSE during years of buying I always intended to trade / sell the "extras" but I've learned I am just horrible when it comes to organizing, selling / trading, I always been a procrastinator outside of absolute necessities (IE: Stuff my wife insist on 😜) so despite good intention I just never had the motivation to take the necessary steps to go through my collection, itemize, prioritize and sell / trade the stuff that I have no connection or nostalgia for. And even the stuff I DO since we don't have and will never have more room I cannot justify having 2, 3, 4 etc, of the same console or compatible platform, though I do in many cases in spades. And this is where the 2600 falls sadly, YES I love the platform and games and have a nostalgia for them obviously but if you had told me 30 years ago that the Atari 2600 and compatibles would be the platform I have today with the most option to play original cartridges I'd have thought you were nuts. BUT I SWEAR the 2600 consoles are like TRIBBLES, those things just seem to accumulate / multiply at an alarming rate. 😆Over the years they just been so hard to resist good deals one not to mention my 4 switch woody / Vader / Light sixer were all sent to me from friends and Youtube subscribers so that was unexpected and so thoughtful I just cannot bring myself to part with those ones especially.  😍But then there was like the Coleco Gemini something I thought I'd never have and I got sweet deals on the Atari Jr's I could not pass up, well I am sure many of you "get it".

Edited by MaximumRD

- M. Bison

14 hours ago, MaximumRD said:

I am just horrible when it comes to organizing, selling / trading

It's HARD WORK, man.  I hate doing it.  I try to be as honest and thorough as possible, and that takes a lot of time.  I feel that it's super important to take the time and do a good job in listing.  Not just to be honest, but to avoid any potential pitfalls with super-picky buyers (and let's be honest, this hobby is full of those).  That's why I will almost always give a big discount if someone I know buys from me.  Easy-going friends are the best.

I tend to make lists of things to sell and then slowly go through it.  I'm looking at the list right now, and Coleco table-top Pac-Man, Atari XEGS and GameGear is on there.  But those listings may not be posted for a few more months. 

35 minutes ago, Amis said:

Hey RickR - What is the PlusCart? 

It is a wifi-based multi-cart for Atari 2600.  Instead of loading games from and SD card, you load them via Wifi.  It has the benefit of having a very up-to-date library of games available, and high score tracking.

https://pluscart.firmaplus.de/pico/

8 hours ago, RickR said:

It is a wifi-based multi-cart for Atari 2600.  Instead of loading games from and SD card, you load them via Wifi.  It has the benefit of having a very up-to-date library of games available, and high score tracking.

https://pluscart.firmaplus.de/pico/

Wow! I knew this was possible, FujiNet guys have something like this on the list.. Awesome.. Thanks! Very cool!

www.southernamis.com - The Southern Amis Projects: BBS’s

southernamis.ddns.net:23                          amis86.ddns.net:9000                           nitelite.ddns.net:9000

I think by the time of the Jr. models Atari would scrounge any parts to assemble to complete a packaged unit, if they ran out of something specific instead of creating more they just scavenged the closest piece from another model or console etc. 

- M. Bison