Retro TV Commercials

Justin

(Note: You're probably asking yourself why didn't I post TV commercials to the TV Forum? Because it's not about TV and it's not about the commercials, it's about what's in them. AMC Gremlin isn't "TV". Neither is Levis, K-Mart, Polaroid, Kay Bee or Blockbuster. More so, it's about what they represent, our shared memories of those things and those times and what they mean to us. Everything else springs from that. This should be a fun topic!)

"Hey baby we'll be back to pick you up later!", I haven't watched the video yet 😆

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

PB Max commercial (1989) - PB Max isn't TJ Maxx. PB Max can be confused with a lot of things, which is the theme of the commercial. Early television commercials for PB Max declared that the "PB" in its name didn't stand for things such as piggy banks, polka band, portly ballerina, platinum blonde, penguin black-belt, pig basketball, plow boy, pure bliss, parachuting buffalo, or pink baboon — but that it in fact stood for peanut butter.

PB Max was a candy bar launched by Mars in 1989 to compete with other peanut butter and chocolate products such as Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Twix bars. PB Max bars were made of creamy peanut butter on top of a square-shaped whole grain cookie, enrobed in milk chocolate. 

According to former Mars executive Alfred Poe, PB Max was discontinued due to the Mars family's distaste for peanut butter, despite $50 million in sales.

4 hours ago, Justin said:

According to former Mars executive Alfred Poe, PB Max was discontinued due to the Mars family's distaste for peanut butter, despite $50 million in sales.

I remember the PB Max!  It was awesome.  WTHeck were they thinking???  I remember liking it MORE than my favorite....Reeces' Peanut Butter cups.  Oh man, I'm getting sore about this dumb decision. 

4 hours ago, Justin said:

Or Whatchamacallit?

I liked the song, but the candy was only so-so IMO.  Great commercial though!