Airshack - I will miss you.

- Ω -

Airshack is a good friend, I met with my association with the TI-99/4A and later with the Atari 5200 and interest in the TRS-80 Model III.  Over the years he's become a guy I truly admired and respected.  A former United States Air Force officer, a pilot for Southwest Airlines and the creator of a couple of real good TI-99/4A games as well. 

Unfortunately James/Airshack is losing his battle with stage 4 cancer and will not be with us much longer.  It's sad that the good ones we will miss and admire always seem to leave us first.  I will miss him.  

We met in person the first time at the Fest West in Woodland, Washington and he was truly one of those type of people who leave a lasting and positive impression.  To those of us who knew him, I'm sure there will be a void, but for his wife and two daughters I feel extremely sad that they will be losing undoubtedly one of the most important and influential people in their lives.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

So sorry to hear this, my condolences, goddamn cancer, my mother went from that as well very rapidly after finding a black spot on her lung on x-rays, far too young. It’s a horrible thing.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

I'm very sorry to hear it.  It is a lovely obituary.  He is gone too soon.

Folks, I don't know Airshack's situation at all and no judgement intended in any way.  I do care about the health of all of my friends here on Atari.io.  Very much.  Assuming many of you are in my higher age bracket, please do get your yearly checkups.  Do the colonoscopy.  I took a lot of good notes on the various undignified medical procedures we all face and would be happy to discuss with anyone who has questions or concerns.  Be informed and make your decisions and I'm open to talk about it with anyone.  No judgement. 

To Airshack's friends and family, I'm so sorry for the loss and may he rest in peace.  May you all find peace. 

OMG, I had no idea he was sick. 😞  (I really need to check these Atari forums more often.)

He was a great supporter of The Atari 7800 Homebrew Podcast and Pie Factory Podcast for a long time.

My wife and I fly Southwest whenever we travel. I'd always try to see if he was our pilot. (He never was in the time I "virtually" knew him.) A couple of years ago he sent me an amazing picture of the Chicago skyline that he took from the cockpit.

Very active in the retro gaming community, and I know he had at least one homebrew game (for TI 99/4A, I believe) either in progress or completed.

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

10 hours ago, dauber said:

OMG, I had no idea he was sick. 😞  (I really need to check these Atari forums more often.)

He was a great supporter of The Atari 7800 Homebrew Podcast and Pie Factory Podcast for a long time.

My wife and I fly Southwest whenever we travel. I'd always try to see if he was our pilot. (He never was in the time I "virtually" knew him.) A couple of years ago he sent me an amazing picture of the Chicago skyline that he took from the cockpit.

Very active in the retro gaming community, and I know he had at least one homebrew game (for TI 99/4A, I believe) either in progress or completed.

Actually Airshack had two games for the TI-99/4A, the first was Escape North Korea and the second was S.C.R.A.A.

1528109004_AirshackGames.jpg.f301e26007f37d0c5ca338ba7b38eea6.jpg

What would have been his third was called "Crazy Uber".  You can see how far he had gotten with it in his You Tube video below.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

And I second RickR on the checkups. Had my first colonoscopy a little over a year ago, and seriously, it was fine. The worst part about it was losing sleep because I had to keep going to the bathroom the night before. At least here in the States (I think it's different elsewhere) you're given a sedative that will either knock you out or make you think you were knocked out. (It was soooo nice to have that nap! The nurse told me I had a full conversation with the doctor during the procedure but I didn't remember a second of it!) They found a few tiny polyps that turned out to be harmless, so I don't have to go back again for about nine years from now. But early detection is always key to beating it.

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

13 hours ago, dauber said:

Had my first colonoscopy a little over a year ago, and seriously, it was fine

My first one was not fine and I was marked as high risk.  But some diet changes and more exercise...the second one came back clean and now I'm also on the 10 year plan. 

Like I said, I took notes and am happy to share for anyone that is anxious about it. 

No judgement here.  I hope we all stay healthy and happy as long as possible.  And peace to Airshack and his family. 

Sorry to hear about Airshack. 😞

I do not think I ever remember ever interacting with him, but I hate to see any member of the community leave us. 😕

Stay healthy as best as you can everyone, we all seem to be not a springs chicken anymore. I want us to have more Atari years together. ❤️

Free to download--> Carrot Kingdom™- :atari_2600: - Released 5/11/2021