CUSTOM OVERLAYS MADE?

18 hours ago, Justin said:

@Atari 5200 Guy if you have a cousin who already has the equipment to print and stamp out controller overlays, that would be a terrific option. If he's willing to help you out, or do this for a reasonable price, that's likely the best way to go! Having to buy the equipment needed to make a small run of overlays is a different story, and would likely be the most costly route to go.

I'm going to suggest @Justin's approach.  I haven't heard back yet but print shops deal with materials that are closer to what was used to make those overlays compared to a sign shop.  I'll inform once I hear back.

1 hour ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I'm going to suggest @Justin's approach.  I haven't heard back yet but print shops deal with materials that are closer to what was used to make those overlays compared to a sign shop.  I'll inform once I hear back.

Thank you @Atari 5200 Guy

Let's review @Video 61 original question to us all:

On 1/22/2023 at 12:08 AM, Video 61 said:

does anybody make, or know where i might be able to get custom overlays made for an atari controller?

My suggestions are to simultaneously investigate two options:

1. Reach out to a homebrew artist with experience in overlays. What recent homebrew games have come with the best overlays? I would research this, find a few home brewers and reach out with questions, it wouldn't hurt to send them an email and ask. "I love your overlays! How did you get them made?" I'm sure they'd love to hear from you!
  2. Reach out to a local print shop with a good reputation. Explain to them in basic terms what you're trying to do, and provide them with a sample - let them take a look at original overlays from Atari Jaguar, Atari 5200, Intellivision, ColecoVision, whatever is closest to what you need. If you're doing something with the Atari 2600 Video Touch Pad or the Kids Controller, you're going to want to go with something a little more durable, even vinyl, but it's easy enough for a print shop to do. Tell them the budget you're working with, and the quantity you're looking for. Remember: Jaguar, 5200, Intellivision and ColecoVision games typically come with TWO overlays per cartridge, one for each player. If you're developing a new game and planning a total run of, let's say, 100 cartridges total, you'd be in a position to speak with the print shop about an order of 200-250 pieces, which may be their minimum order. If they're doing this with digital printing, and you don't need the overlays tomorrow, they will schedule you in with a much larger job, and position your overlays at the edge of whatever else they're working on, basically making good use of print material which would otherwise be scrap. Let them know you're flexible in that regard, and that there's not a hurry to get this order by the end of the week, and that will likely give them the ability to work with you on price. Let them print off a sample for you and make sure you're happy. In my experience, these items print for pennies on the dollar. Sometimes much less expensive than printing at home on an inkjet printer, and with far superior results.

1 minute ago, Justin said:

Thanks! How do you see this working? What would the template be for? A template to cut the overlays?

No, not a template to cut the overlays, but the overlays themselves.  This would be for the Atari 5200 joysticks (not that I use them).  The main shape would be for the keypad overlay.  I figure four 3D printed layers at .15 would be thin enough to be flexible yet fit into the retainer slots, but also thick enough to hold up to use.  The lettering and key outlines would have to be a different color of at least two layers to be legible, three for an even better appearance.  

Once the main surface was designed it could be used for any design/game to go on top of it.  The advantage to method (if it worked) would be that a lot of people in the community could print them up for themselves or for friends as needed.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

Not that they looked awesome or anything, but they held up for as long as I needed and used them. I made my own 5200 overlays about 20 years ago by reverse printing onto transparency film. I then used a hobby knife to cut out the overlay. From there I used a coat maybe 2 of white spraypaint on the printed back side of the overlay. I followed it up some clear coat to lock it in better. The end product was pretty durable as I recall if maybe a bit stiffer than the originals but did the job well. Ahd it was cheap to do at that time. i would think something similar could still be done today.

And, there is a guy over at AtariAge that creates custom overlays for the 5200 and Jaguar I believe on request. I've got a pack of his 5200 overlays he was selling a few years back and they look great!

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

2 hours ago, CrossBow said:

Not that they looked awesome or anything, but they held up for as long as I needed and used them. I made my own 5200 overlays about 20 years ago by reverse printing onto transparency film. I then used a hobby knife to cut out the overlay. From there I used a coat maybe 2 of white spraypaint on the printed back side of the overlay. I followed it up some clear coat to lock it in better. The end product was pretty durable as I recall if maybe a bit stiffer than the originals but did the job well. Ahd it was cheap to do at that time. i would think something similar could still be done today.

And, there is a guy over at AtariAge that creates custom overlays for the 5200 and Jaguar I believe on request. I've got a pack of his 5200 overlays he was selling a few years back and they look great!

That's awesome feedback @CrossBow :wreck-it-ralph: