Squad Challenge - Joust (Atari 2600)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Joust
Atari 2600
Controller: JOYSTICK / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: SKILLED
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST February 28, 2023
Nominated by @RickR

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between February 1st through February 28th, 2023. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, officially released compilation, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds, updated and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

Skilled. We are starting Joust on Skilled, the default level. (The only other game variation, "Easy", is identified by the Teddy Bear icon next to the score.) The Difficulty Switches have no function in this game.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other dishonest advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 142nd Squad Challenge! This month were' playing a quintessential classic for the Atari 2600, Joust! The obejective of Joust is to defend yourself and score points by unseating opponents, the Buzzard Riders, who come in three types, each more dangerous than the last: The Bounders (wearing red) the Hunters (wearing gray) and the Shadow Lords (wearing blue). Do you have what it takes to survive wave after wave after wave of this insanity? Watch out for the Egg Wave, Survival Wave, and Pterodactyl Wave! Special thanks to @RickR for nominating this game! ROM and PDF Instruction Booklet is attached below. Good luck!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Joust.bin Joust_Atari_2600.pdf

Adding on to @greenween, this is a game I would never would have imagine playing on the 2600. This is quite a feat!

Here's my submission (which I played last night): 71,650. I played on OpenEmu which uses Stella. The controls and flapping take some adjusting, especially versus the arcade original.

20230203_2600Joust 71650.jpg

Edited by Marco1019
Added that I played late last night

On 2/2/2023 at 1:55 AM, Sabertooth said:

GCC did such a great job with this port. Everything that makes Joust is here. It's amazing for the time!

1 hour ago, Marco1019 said:

Adding on to @greenween, this is a game I would never would have imagine playing on the 2600. This is quite a feat!

Interesting to hear your positive takes on this game! I can remember Joust being one of the few Atari 2600 games still being promoted as late as 1989-1990, clearly there was a good reason.

3 hours ago, Stlrs95 said:

36,550 : My biggest issue seems to be figuring out where to be when a new level starts so they don’t get a quick kill on me.

3444C027-178C-4756-96B9-A3E89AC2AC57.jpeg

I tend to wait around the bottom of the screen (just to the right of where your character is sitting in your screenshot) because the enemies will usually appear in the middle of the screen.