Morg Blaster!

Retrospect

MORGBLASTER-8.BIN

MORGBLASTER-G.BIN 

Above are two different types of cartridge image.  They are for a new game that was created as a "test" in three hours called Morg Blaster.  The test was to ascertain wether there was a problem with sprites in the Compiler.  So far no issues in this game have been found.

Game rules .... Blast the Morgs that ascend from the blue hills towards the Schooner ... you are in Tombstone City once again but the City itself no longer provides protection from Morgs. They will slow down going through it though.  Also the Morgs ain't the only problem - there's two laser cannons either side of the surrounding desert blasting away laser bolts.  The Morgs will absorb the bolts but you can't!  ... If you're on your last life, a heart will randomly come from the blue hills toward the bottom of the screen .... catch it before either the Morgs eat it or it reaches the bottom , and you get yourself an extra Schooner! .... good luck and have a blast!  The action and pace is 100 percent more frenetic than Tombstone City right from the get-go.  It's for hardened blasters.  Enjoy.  

On 2/11/2023 at 4:55 PM, Retrospect said:

Not too much going on , on this site?  What gives?  is it dead?

Well, if more people like you would come by, we could definitely get more action going.  Actually this is a great place since everyone here is super friendly and I've never witnessed anyone being rude or insulting to anyone in all the years I've been here.. and I've been here 7 years.  Oh and since I'm here, I'm still maintaining the TI lists as well (as I get information).  So please, feel free to invite anyone over that you think is a good person.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

On 2/11/2023 at 4:55 PM, Retrospect said:

MORGBLAST-G.BIN 32 kB · 1 download

Here's the latest update.  Not too much going on , on this site?  What gives?  is it dead?

Thanks for joining and contributing. We a re a small community but very much alive thanks. While we've yet to achieve the numbers trust me, we are quantity over quantity for now. 😏Just stick with us, tell others and we can all share and appreciate a friendly community. Welcome. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

7 hours ago, RickR said:

What's the difference between the -8 and -G versions?  I would like to download but am not sure which to grab.  Thanks

One's a standard binary, that's the 8, and the other's GROM, the G ... I have been told that I've messed up the name on the 8 ... the G works but apparently the 8 doesn't.  

I don't know enough about this to tell you more.  For any future games I can supply them in FIAD program image format if that's better, JS99er and Classic99 have no trouble with those.

There's an even better version in the pipeline, since this game was written really as simply a test to see if my brain was working properly or not.

Morg Blaster 2 will be out before long ... the one new feature is, when you press fire, the Schooner recoils back and then forward again.  It looks really good when you keep fire held down.  

More work done on Morg Blaster 2 just now.  The game is in the style of Tombstone City, there's going to be 3 "zones" or "stages" ... you have to blast a certain amount of Morgs in each to progress to the next, then it wraps back round with increased difficulty.  This is stage 2, Pisgah National Forest ... with an animated waterfall.  It looks calm and serene for now ... but it won't be for long!

A little more progress made today.  Now the Morgs enter the screen and chase the player, they have 3 speeds of movement depending on the option the player chooses at the title screen.  Player cannot shoot or "die" yet.  In this video I choose options 1, 2 and 3 to show the speeds.  There's a tension build-up before they arrive.  🙂

BLAST2-G.BINBLAST2-G.BIN < Cartridge Image for FinalGROM if using real TI99, or just load it into any emulator.  Needs 32K enabled and joystick.

Note: Do not attempt to rename the G file.  It will becoming unusable.

I didn't know wether to use a separate thread for this or not but here it is, Morg Blaster 2

Notes about the game:

You can't shoot if you are directly next to the thing you are trying to shoot. Back up a little and try again.  

The laser cannons on the left and right side of the screen, there's no other way to put this, they are EVIL.  They will kill you to death.  Their missiles pass through anything to get to you , the only thing that stops them is a Morg and that's only because Morgs eat everything!

If you manage to get past stage 3 (Devils Tower) you will start again with increased difficulty (more Morgs to shoot in each stage) and you will be awarded an extra life.

Good luck .... and enjoy!  To practice it's best using option 1 in the title screen (Novice)

BLAST2-G.BIN

Here's an improved amended version of Morg Blaster 2.  It has a slightly imroved Morg explosion sequence that uses less CPU time, once you get past stage 3 and back round to stage 1, it only adds and extra 10 Morgs to the amount to kill each stage.  At game over is a game summary showing how you did.

1 hour ago, Retrospect said:

BLAST2-G.BIN 32 kB · 1 download

Here's an improved amended version of Morg Blaster 2.  It has a slightly imroved Morg explosion sequence that uses less CPU time, once you get past stage 3 and back round to stage 1, it only adds and extra 10 Morgs to the amount to kill each stage.  At game over is a game summary showing how you did.

FinalGROM meet BLAST-G.BIN today!  I guess I get to turn on the TI today!  Thanks for this!

<<< My YouTube Page >>>