I hope this is the last keyboard I'll ever have to buy!

- Ω -

Soon to be buried keyboard... with your help.

OLD.PNG.e0a64158ce0869dcc4c32187e87e91d0.PNG 

My MK710 keyboard with M705 matching mouse is nearing the end of it's useful life.  After about 5 years the keys are starting to stick and some key presses are not even recorded the first time, it's negatively affecting my typing.  So I figured, the best place to ask for opinions & suggestions is the place where everybody who uses a keyboard hangs out... HERE!

I do have two requirements:  The keyboard and mouse have to be wireless, and I'd prefer real switches. 

Honestly though, I'm not into flashy looking keyboards with colored lights.  Any suggestions?

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

Oh, I might add some of the things I liked about this keyboard...

The battery life has been amazing, I've only replaced the batteries once in all the years I've had it... and I've never turned it off.  It also came with a matched mouse that uses the same USB dongle so I don't have to use two USB ports.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

I also have a Logitech wireless combo.  I've kept the mouse, and switched to a wired keyboard when the keyboard wore out.  The keyboard I chose is a no-name that I got on Amazon.  It got good reviews, and had light-up keys that I wanted.  I would have just gotten the same Logitech combo, but I really wanted that light-up feature so I could see the keys in a dark room.  I use a desktop and an under-desktop drawer for the keyboard, so the wire is of no consequence. 

My advice for you is to go to an "Office Depot" store (or somewhere that has a bunch of keyboards out for you to touch) and pick the one that feels right to you.  You can't go wrong with Microsoft or Logitech brands. 

6 hours ago, TrekMD said:

I recommend the Logitech MK550 Wireless Wave Keyboard and Mouse Combo. 

Logitech MK550 Wireless Wave Keyboard and Mouse Combo.jpg

Do you have this one?  If so, I have a couple of questions...

1) Do all the buttons work in Windows 10 and are there any obsolete keys?

2) Does it have a CAPS LOCK indicator?

3) Are the letters backlit?

4) Was it hard to adjust to the wave keyboard?

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

1 hour ago, - Ω - said:

Do you have this one?  If so, I have a couple of questions...

1) Do all the buttons work in Windows 10 and are there any obsolete keys?

2) Does it have a CAPS LOCK indicator?

3) Are the letters backlit?

4) Was it hard to adjust to the wave keyboard?

I do use this one.  I love it because the curve makes it more comfortable to use.  To address your questions:

1.  Yep.  They are also programmable keys with the software from Logitech, so you can make the keys do what you want.  I have the ABC keys mapped to apps.  The IE key mapped to Firefox, etc. 

2.  Not on the keyboard.  You'll get an indicator on screen when you hit the key.

3.  Nope

4.  Not at all. 

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

4 hours ago, - Ω - said:

Which keyboard did you choose?  Also, does it have the calculator button?

This is the keyboard I have.  I forgot about the "Large Print" feature, which really cracked me up at the time.  Still, it's been helpful to have backlit keys with BIG print on them.  🙂 

https://www.amazon.com/Azio-Tri-Color-Backlit-Keyboard-KB505U/dp/B008CXTX7S/ref=asc_df_B008CXTX7S/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309743296044&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14658807681854916070&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032884&hvtargid=pla-437179380887&th=1

Edited by RickR

@RickR  After looking at your suggestion, I came across the Logitech K800, which claims to be wireless, but you have to charge it, which requires a cord.  I think I'll mull this one over for a day or two, and see if any more suggestions pop up because it does not prop up as high as my current Mk710.  The positives... it is backlit, which is growing on me, second, it uses a unifying receiver so I can pair it with my existing mouse, and of course the layout is nearly exactly what I've been used to,

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

I think you're on the right track.  It's such a personal choice, so keep researching.  Kind of weird that they made that one rechargeable, as the batteries on the old ones seemed to last for years. 

PS - I really like the Logitech brand.  If I had to buy a keyboard today, I'd probably try to find a wired Logitech with backlight.  If that exists. 

Well Rick, the Azio looks like the best bet so far, unfortunantly the KB506W appears to be discontinued...

... while the wired KB505 << HERE AT AMAZON >> looks pretty good to me... decisions decisions!  Sadly the 505 does not have a textured front which would be prone to showing finger prints.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

Well, there apparently is a way in Windows 10 to create a keyboard shortcut (with a small delay) in windows, or I could simply pin it to the taskbar because that Azio KB510W is calling to me.  Thanks @RickR for turning me on to this brand.  I never would have considered them before.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

That looks like a really nice choice.  And a bargain price too.  I hope that you like it and that it serves you well for a long time. And if not, they have a good return policy.

The keyboard I have has three back-light colors, but I have always leave it on blue.  It's nice that's the single color they chose for that model. 

One of my kids has a mechanical keyboard.  I understand the appeal, but I'm not a fan.  To me, the noise far outweighs the tactile feel. 

I can be of no help here I'm afraid. I do NOT like wireless mice or keyboards. I do use a wireless at work but that is because as we stated I use a matched combo that only needs one dongle and sadly the laptop we use at work (Instead of legit desktops), only have about 4 USB ports on them to begin with and those are occupied with other stuff we need like an Ethernet adapter, printer, our phone system. 

At home, I've always used wired keyboards and mice. Always... and I have a semi mechanical one I'm using now from Steelseries that I quite like. Although if I had my preference, I would use my actual model M IBM from 1987 as it does have a PS2 plug on it and even my current motherboard came with a PS2 port on it. But my wife cannot handle the sound of that model M as it is a noisy keyboard being fully old school mechanical.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

I prefer the wired stuff too, but for gaming, a wired mouse always drives me nuts.  The wire always gets under the mouse or pulls you in the wrong direction sometimes.  So I switched to a higher-end ergonomic shaped Logitech wireless a few years ago and love it.  As Omega mentioned, the battery lasts forever somehow. 

Switching to working from home in 2020 also changed things a bit.  I've had to be more aware of space (big items are all gone, no room for them) and noise (I shared my small office with my wife for about a year) with at least one of my kids working or schooling in the next room. 

We upgraded our Wifi router, got a really nice all-in-one inkjet printer, and I got myself a really nice set of noise cancelling wireless earbuds for work calls.  All of these things have been outstanding, and now we can't imagine working without them. 

I feel super lucky that my work has allowed me to work from home (and now they are making it permanent). 

PS - my desktop mouse is the Logitech M705, and I love it.  It's heavy and fits my hand perfectly.  "Old Reliable".  It has probably 8 buttons on it, but I just use the standard left-right-wheel and haven't ever programmed the others.

Most of the other computers here (my wife's, my work laptop, garage) use the much cheaper Logitech M325.  These things cost only $10 at Office Depot on sale, and they work perfectly.  They are small and lightweight.  Not great for gaming but perfect for office work.  And they come in many cool colors. 

mice 002.JPG

20 hours ago, RickR said:

PS - my desktop mouse is the Logitech M705, and I love it.  It's heavy and fits my hand perfectly.

Yep!  I love my M705 too, especially the weighted mouse wheel where with a click of a button I can roll down super fast and with minimal effort.  I'm going to continue using.  Those extra buttons come in handy at times too!

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

I just noticed something interesting on YouTube... NOBODY has done a review of the 510W.  There are lots of reviews on other Azio keyboards, but not this one.  I guess I might be able to make a review video that will get watched.  << My YouTube Site >> is small and only has 256 subscribers, but then again most of my videos have been targeted at a niche group.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

2 hours ago, - Ω - said:

I just noticed something interesting on YouTube... NOBODY has done a review of the 510W.  There are lots of reviews on other Azio keyboards, but not this one.  I guess I might be able to make a review video that will get watched.  << My YouTube Site >> is small and only has 256 subscribers, but then again most of my videos have been targeted at a niche group.

Hey, I'm a member of a small exclusive 256 member group 🙂 

Good idea to review that keyboard if no one else has done it.