Time For One

Atari 5200 Guy

I tell my 2600 that I have time for one game.  I don't think my 2600 understood me.

IMG_20230417_162007.jpg.8af185d9fc845e1c00a85c0800e655a9.jpg

Shortly after taking this picture my 2600 just shows a black screen now.  Tried multiple games and same thing.  I'm going to try replacing Stella, RIOT, and TIA to see if that helps.  I'm guessing it's either TiA or faulty 7805 regulator because it at times acts like it's not getting power.  Tested same games on a Junior model with same power supply and they are all fine.

5 hours ago, RickR said:

I'm glad you got it fixed, but there is no way all three chips blow at once without some kind of power issue.  I would for sure replace that 7805 voltage regulator and double check your power adapter.

I think I'll double check those chips again because you are right.  No way all three blew at once.  If none of the chips I pulled work I'll replace the regulator.  

1 hour ago, DegasElite said:

I didn't think they were socketed in. I thought they needed soldering. Cool. :O)

Depends on when it was made. I think all the JRs for instance those chips are soldered in. But on all of the sixers and many of the 4port models, they still used sockets for them.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

9 minutes ago, DegasElite said:

Sounds logical. I can see soldering being a thing with the older A2600s. I think socketing, especially ZIF socketing, is a more recent innovation. But, is there an issue with chip creep on those socketed chips? I wonder.

Biggest issue with the sockets they used was that most of them were single wipe and so over time they have worn a bit loose and corrosion can start to cause the chip and socket to want to become 'one'.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections