Squad Challenge - Caverns of Mars (Atari 8-Bit Computers)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Caverns of Mars
Atari 8-Bit Computers
Controller: JOYSTICK / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: NOVICE
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST May 31, 2023
Nominated by @Sabertooth

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between May 1st through May 31st, 2023. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, officially released compilation, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds, updated and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

We are playing Caverns of Mars on the NOVICE Difficulty Setting. It's a tough game so beginning at Novice will open the game up to be fun for everyone playing.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other dishonest advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 145th Squad Challenge! This month we're playing a DOUBLE FEATURE High Score Squad Challenge with our friends in Club VCS! We will be playing Caverns of Mars, both on Atari VCS, and here in our first Squad Challenge for the Atari 8-Bit Computers! Caverns of Mars is also included on the new Atari 50 compilation and on Antstream, so there are a variety of ways to access the title and to participate! Be sure to check out the Caverns of Mars Club VCS Recharged Squad Challenge here! Special thanks to Club VCS Moderator @Sabertooth for nominating this game and suggesting the idea of a Double Feature! ROM and PDF Instruction Booklet is attached below. Good luck!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Caverns_of_Mars_Atari_Computers.pdf Caverns_of_Mars.zip

I have never heard of this game before and so I researched it. I must say that I absolutely love that box art for this game!! The A8 and 7800 stuff are areas I did not get into heavily or at all.  Yes I had both growing up but when I got them it was like, "This is all we have", when asking stores about more software for them.  And it wasn't much to choose from.  This game will be a new experience for me...and I'm looking forward to it.

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Onidensetsu!

Congratulations to @OniDensetsu his big Squad Challenge win!! Onidensetsu won the A8 challenge of our Double Feature, and our very first Atari 8-Bit Squad Challenge!  Onidensetsu takes the top spot in our Final Standings with an impressive score of 51,040 points. Awesome! "The Don" @RickR was hot on Onidensetsu's tail, narrowly taking 2nd Place in our Final Standings with his wild score of 49,940 points. @Sabertooth - who did an incredible job of coordinating the Club VCS side of our Double Feature - takes 3rd Place in our Final Standings with an incredible score of 44,020 points. @TrekMD fought to take 4th, with an impressive score of 35,650 points, and @RETRO DESTRUCTO rounds things out in our 5th spot, with a well-earned 16,840 points. Congratulations once again to Onidensetsu for his BIG WIN, and I want to thank @Sabertooth for nominating this game! He is doing yeoman's work continuously hosting wonderful Squad Challenges and other fun events in our new Club VCS! Be sure to join Club VCS this month to participate in our Recharged Squad Challenges for the new Atari VCS!

NOTE: Our next Squad Challenge will be Vanguard for the Atari 2600, nominated by Greenween!

large.final_standings_a8_caverns_of_mars.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif