Jaguar development with the Removers' library

phoboz

As the Removers' library is LGPL licensed, you are supposed to contribute back.

Here it goes:

https://github.com/phoboz/tmx2lev

Use this tool to convert a tilemap created using Tiled (~ version 0.9) to a tilemap that can be used by example20 for the Removers' library:

tmx2lev infile.tmx outside.lev --vertical --datasize 1 --legacy

(The whole command goes on one line)

The tool is GPL licensed, which means that if you improve it, you should contribute back your changes (preferably by creating a pull request to the repository)

Here is also a little bit more advanced example

No need to use the --legacy and --datasize 1 options for compatability with this example. Use --vertical for horizontal scrolling maps and --horizontal (or nothing) for vertically scrolling maps. 

License of the code is LGPL (e.g. contribute back changes to it), the included example assets are propreitary and cannot be used without permission in other products.

Edited by phoboz

18 hours ago, DegasElite said:

Questions: Do you have to build this program? Can it be on the same directory as the tile-map? Also, can this be used for Mac as well as for Windows? Either way, I can use this. Thanks and welcome to the Forum, seeing you are new here. 🙂

Yes, the code needs to be compiled.

For the tmx2lev tool you need a C++ compiler for the host. I have tested under Linux, so it should definately work on Mac.

For the Jaguar sample you need to have a Jaguar cross compiler development environment installed. There are various options on how to build that.

Jaguar Cross compiler options:

1. https://github.com/cubanismo/jaguar-sdk

2. https://github.com/theRemovers/jagdev

Finally you also need to build jlibcrmvlib and the Jaguar image converter.

You may put the tmx2lev in the same directory as the tilemaps to convert, or add the directory of the executable to the PATH environment variable. If you have it in the same directory as the tilemaps you normally call the program using the ./ prefix before the executable name (on Mac/Linux)

Edited by phoboz

11 hours ago, DegasElite said:

Got another question. Will Xcode for the Mac compile it? Thanks. :O)

XCode should definately be able to compile the tmx2lev tool. I assume it can also be used for compiling the Jaguar cross compiler toolchain, but I haven't tried it myself.

There are options to install the compiler that Linux uses on Mac e.g. GCC. This approach might be smoother?