Your first car

Yo-Yo

I thought it would be cool if we could post photos and share stories of our first car :)

My first car was AMC Eagle 4 x 4 station wagon. I think it was a 1986 model. AMC owned Jeep then and put a Jeep powertrain in an older AMC Sportabout wagon design. It had lots of power, room for all your gear, drove like a car and it could plow through mud and snow like a Jeep. My friends and I would take this on camping trips and tailgates and had lots of good times at a drive in movie theater that was still around back then. I can't find a picture of it right this sec but here's what it looked like in the brochure:

post-138-0-86583600-1440963357_thumb.jpg

I had a POS 4 door 72 Chevy Nova that got handed down to me. My friends were embarrassed to be seen in that car. The best thing about the car was because it was such a POS I used to go flying down this one country road that had a hill that I would floor it and go airborne.

⚠️ THIS MEMBER HAS BEEN BANNED FOR THE FOLLOWING INCIDENT: http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/475-theretrocade/?p=7683

I got my 1983 Toyota Camry LE 5 door in 1989 w/ 39k miles. Then bought a LeBra for it and then had the 7 windows tinted with limo tint all around.

post-52-0-48683100-1440987363.jpg

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

I don't have any original pictures of me and my first car any more, I don't think, but it was a 1976 Monte Carlo with a 400 big-block and Quadro-Jet 4-barrel carb. It was Canary yellow. Net picture below, just imagine that in yellow, and a guy with long, dirty blond hair and wearing a leather biker jacket with a Camel sticking out of his mouth and you have me. Of course I owned it in about '86. God, I loved that car and beat the living hell out of it street racing and doing dry pavement donuts and we (me and buddies) would hold the brakes and spin the tires on our cars to see who could do the biggest smoke show, in the high school parking lot of course, until the principal broke it up! I went through a LOT of used tires on that car, and surprisingly, never blew the motor or dropped the transmission! I did drive it through the woods once, just stoned and drunk, :wreck-it-ralph:  with a load of friends, and nearly wedged it between two trees! I made it through, but had big dents and scrapes down both sides of it after that!  :unsure:  :rofl:

post-878-0-71567900-1448480217.jpg

Edited by Bakerman

"Slugs, he created slugs?...Is this not the work of a complete incompetent? I would have started with Lasers, 8 o'clock, day one."-Evil (Time Bandits)

"...burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me..."-theme song (Firefly)

"I try to respect him, I really, really do, but he's just such a Smeg-head."-Lister (about Rimmer, Red Dwarf)

Well I don't have a picture of it, but this one is identical ...mine wasn't in quite as pristine condition. ;)

dart2.jpg

It's a 1970 Dodge Dart (not the Swinger) 4 door, 225 Slant 6 engine.    Tough as nails.  I think my stereo cost more than the car.

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

Here's my first car...1992 Chevy Corsica LT. No-frills car, just pretty basic...although I did upgrade the AM/FM radio to AM/FM/cassette, like, the day after I got it in 1997. :)

Picture must have been taken in 1998. I had just bought a Kodak DC-25, featuring a high resolution of...640 x 480. :) I got that camera because it was Amiga-compatible. I carried that camera everywhere. This picture was taken in the parking lot of Sharp Electronics in Romeoville, Illinois, where I worked at the time. I took a picture because in that huge parking lot, it was a rare day you'd get a parking space so close to the entrance; I needed to capture the moment for posterity! The bumper stickers are from The Kat 105.5, the radio station where I was a weekend disc jockey.

Had the car until I traded it in for a brand new 2002 Saturn SL2.

post-920-0-02264900-1481430015.jpg

Edited by dauber

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

My first car was a blue 1987 Yugo GV. I've always been fascinated by anything quirky and, frankly, it was the only car my 16 year old self could afford working partime after school at Kroger. I picked it up for $400 and sold six months later for $500, under parental pressure to get something "safer." Safer, apparently meant an '84 Ford Tempo with power steering issues. I don't have a picture of my Yugo but it looked like this one:

post-65-0-66483600-1482160340_thumb.jpeg

My first car, I had to share with my older sister.  It didn't work out so well.  It was a 76 Olds Delta 88.  I don't have a pic of it but mine (ours) was white.  I fit eleven people in that car one time during high school.  I loved that car.  It hardly failed to start up during those frigid Chicago winters.  I wouldn't mind driving one today if it weren't for the horrendous gas mileage...

100_5364.jpg

Edited by Mcorleonep

An older thread, but so what. lol

Here's a pic of my first three vehicles. 

My first was the 1973 Datsun pickup.  This was after I wrecked it (damage to front... not really shown in pic).  I didn't have the camper shell on there when I drove it.  We put it on to sell with it to the guy who was going to use it for parts or something.  Man I wish I still had that truck.  My dad bought it from my uncle for $300 and it came with a riding lawnmower in the back.  I still say my dad actually bought the lawnmower and my uncle threw the truck in for free.  It had a good bit of electrical issues and the brakes sometimes went out (had to adjust them regularly), but the engine ran perfect.

Second was the 86(?) Nissan 200SX.  My first (and only ever) actual car.  Everything else has been trucks or SUVs.  This was a pretty fun car.  I felt sporty and fast in it, even though I wasn't particularly.  And it had POP UP HEADLIGHTS!  lol  It was still in good running condition when I got my third vehicle, but my step-brother started using it and trashed it.  And yeah, that's me standing next to it... no idea how old I was there...

Third was the 95 Nissan Hardbody truck.  I wish I still had this one, too.  Extended cab and my first standard transmission.  (Yep, the 73 Datsun was actually an automatic!)  This one was the fist one I bought myself.  Bought it used from it's original owner.  Lasted me for quite a while.  Then the front right wheel seized up... don't know if it was a bearing or the brakes or what... anyway, it looked like it was going to cost more to fix it than it was worth, so we "sold" it to the insurance company and bought another vehicle.

cars.jpg

No actual photos but my first car was a 1979 Volvo 264GL in brown. It looked similar to this. One Saturday afternoon, my dad and uncle went out, and a few hours later, they came back with it and said this is your car. I believe I was a few months shy of 17 so that would have been early part of 1986. My immediate reaction was why brown? I had it for 3 or 4 years and it had lot of mechanical issues... fuel pump fuse going out while I'm driving on the freeway and such. That car did a lot to scare me away from used cars ever since.

VOLVO-264-00.jpg

VOLVO-264-08.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 4:14 PM, socrates63 said:

That car did a lot to scare me away from used cars ever since.

I completely understand.  My wife and I just went through the process of replacing a car, and we went back and forth between new and used.  In the end, I decided we should set a dollar limit for used cars.  We will NEVER spend more than $XX on a used car.  So we ended up with a new car, and it was actually the exact same price as the used model we were considering. 

With an adult perspective, I think your dad and uncle picked a really nice car for you.  It's safe, and it would have been hard to get into too much trouble in that Volvo. 

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 1:17 PM, Control Issues said:

My first was the 1973 Datsun pickup. 

I've got a story on a similar truck.  We had a very good family friend who drove a very well-used 70's Datsun pickup (it was orange).  Sadly, the man died.  Before I knew it, his daughter had sold the truck!  I wasn't mad or anything, I just wish I'd known that she was going to sell it as I would have bought it.  Just to have a small reminder of our friend. 

My first car was a '79 Monte Carlo with T-Tops.  305 V-8.  Had cruise control.  Loved it.  The picture is the closest I could find but the car in the image doesn't have T-Tops.  My car also had dual exhaust with 12" glass packs.  I loved that car!  The 305 gave out and got replaced with a 350 out of a '84 I-ROC which I mounted a Edelbrock 600 cfm 4 barrel carb on top.  Engine was sweet but waaay too much power for me to handle.  I traded the car to my mother for her '84 Cadillac Cimmeron with manual 5-speed.  Stupidest thing I ever did.  Everything on my Monte worked and it was very clean.  I miss it.

unnamed.jpg