Xbox 360 RROD

RickR

I just found this interesting article on the red ring of death:

http://www.techinsider.io/when-all-the-xbox-360s-broke-2015-8#ixzz3kbrU7I8U

I don't know about you all, but my first 360 (a original white model) RRODied.  I initially fixed it by reseating the heatsink...but it died permanently a few months later.  We got a slim model later, and it's still going to this day.

The article also mentions the ugly factor of the original Xbox!  They say they made it big due to the hard drive??!!?  PS2 had room for a hard drive, but wasn't nearly as large!

The article also mentions the ugly factor of the original Xbox!  They say they made it big due to the hard drive??!!?  PS2 had room for a hard drive, but wasn't nearly as large!

OK so the article still doesn't say exactly what causes the red ring.............

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

I had one of the early ones. Sent it back to Microsoft. They did their thing and about a year or two later the rrod came back.

There was a local guy who would fix them for $35 and he increased the speed of the fan. It worked but the fan was very loud. Still have it but my youngest was having other issues with it. Most likely it was finally dying.

I had an original (I think it was manufactured in February '06) and it lasted until April of '08 before it RROD. Of course it happened two days before GTA IV came out, so I talked the wife into letting my pick up a new system. I bought an Elite (black with 120 GB HD) and that is still working to this day.

Since I love my 360 & still play it regularly, I picked up an R2D2 unit, which is now my go-to box. The differences between the newer units & those original ones is night & day. You can't even tell it's running it's so quiet.

I had an original that never red ringed.  But I only had it for about six months before having to part with it.  All I played on that thing was Burnout Revenge, Dynasty Warriors (5 or 6...not sure which), and there was a game on the hard drive I am having a hard time remembering the name of now.  I picked up a 4GB white slim 360 in 2010/2011 bundled with Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure and it's never been off since setting it up.  If it is not used for gaming it is used for music and TV.  We watch Netflix more than anything now.  We have cable but I couldn't tell you when we last tried a cable channel.

Before we picked up the Slim I won a Goodwill auction with an original 360 that was red ringing thinking I might could save it.  I cleaned up and placed fresh heat sink compound on the processors and turned it on until it red ringed again (no cooling fans).  It came out of it and lasted for about a year and a half before red ringing again.  This time, though, I couldn't get it to snap out of it so I chunked it.  There was nothing else I could do for it.  The main board was warped pretty good from the heat.

I still have my original XBOX and I have to say that the positioning of everything would account for its size.  The hard drive, for those that don't know, is the 3.5" size.  It's rather large.  If they would have used the hard drives found in laptops they could have reduced the size significantly.  In my opinion I find the original XBOX a more likable console over the 360.  I have more issues with my 360 locking up during games than my original XBOX.  I had my 360 lock up once during AC:Black Flag while it was saving.  I can't even play the game with my profile now.  XBOX has spent months trying to help me and ended up giving up and giving me two months of XBOX Live for my troubles.  Contacting UBI Soft didn't do any good as they neglected me completely.  I don't by UBI Soft programs for any system anymore for that reason.  Which is a shame because I liked the Assassin Creed series.  

So...my 360 is still going strong and still needs an internal hard drive upgrade.  My Original XBOX gets an equal amount of attention between the two and I hope that someday I can play Halo with others online once I get the game.

Archived