GIVEAWAY - LIVE CHAT ATARI TRIVIA -- Wed, October 29, 2014 9pm EST, 6pm PST

instagram_halloween_tease_4.jpg

SPECIAL EVENT: LIVE CHAT ATARI TRIVIA
Wednesday, October 29th, 2014 9pm EST, 6pm PST

Join us in the chatroom for a special Halloween celebration on Wednesday, October 29, 2014 at 9pm EST, 6pm PST for a night of LIVE CHAT ATARI TRIVIA!

1st Place wins a special Atari 2600 Halloween Prize Package: 
  • a newly refurbished "Vader" Atari 2600 VCS (black as midnight on a moonless night) 
  • a brand new 2600 Joystick 
  • five of our hand-made custom Atari-themed buttons
  • a minty-fresh, brand-new in the box Ms. Pac-Man (for chasing ghosts) 
  • and a Haunted House cartridge with the original instructions! 

Our Runner-Up will win the 2nd Place Prize: a $10.00 store credit towards any purchase at Video 61 Atari Sales & Service! (www.atarisales.com)

blog_halloween_2014_hero.jpg

I.) HOW IT WORKS

Live Chat Atari Trivia plays just like Trivia Night at a local bar, with three major exceptions:

• trivia takes place online in our chatroom, not in a bar
  • questions are Atari-centric, with a focus on classic games and retro life
  • instead of sliders & drinks, we're giving away Atari stuff as prizes

Live Chat Atari Trivia consists of four rounds of five questions. Answer as many questions correctly as you can to win a prize!

• Round 1: questions about Atari games
  • Round 2: questions about Atari history
  • Round 3: questions about retro life and pop culture (late-'70s through mid-'90s)
  • Round 4: questions about other classic video games and toys

II.) SCORING

There are five questions in each of the four rounds. The first four questions in each round are worth 1 Point each, and the final question of each round is worth 2 Points. This results in 6 Points per round, with a total possible 24 Points for the game.

At the end of each round, answers are submitted to me via Private Message. Scores are tabulated and announced in the live chat.

At the end of the game, the person with the highest score wins the 1st Place Prize, and the runner-up wins the 2nd Place Prize.

Should Trivia Night result in a tied score for 1st or 2nd Place, the tie will be broken with a sudden death question in the live chat. The first of the tied contestants to respond with the correct answer wins the tie.

III.) PLAYING THE GAME

Atari Trivia will take place in the live chat, here in our forums. You can enter the chatroom by clicking the "Chat" button at the top right of the page next to the magnifying glass. (see photo below) If you haven’t already signed up for an account, you'll want to do so ahead of time so you can post in the chat room and send Private Messages. 

chat_location.jpg

Atari Trivia is played just like Trivia Night at your local watering hole. In a bar & grill-type setting, a trivia host walks around the restaurant asking trivia questions with a microphone. People quietly write down answers at their table and turn in their answer sheet to the host at the end of each round. Scores are tallied and leaders announced as the next round begins. The table with the highest score at the end of four rounds wins a prize, usually a free round of drinks, etc.

Atari Trivia will play out almost the same way. I'll be your Trivia Host for the night, and instead of hosting trivia in a bar we'll have trivia in the chatroom! Instead of turning in a piece of paper with your answers, you'll send me a private message with your answers at the end of each round! Scores will be tallied up during each break, and I'll announce board leaders in the chatroom as the next round begins. Remember, everybody else can see what you say in the chatroom, so be sure not to blurt out your answers and PM them to me instead!

IV.) ELIGIBILITY

Everyone is invited to play! If you have trouble logging in, please let us know and we’ll assist you. To keep the playing field level, we kindly ask that Atari employees past & present, published gaming historians, staff at tech and gaming publications, major retrogaming retailers, and admins of tech and gaming websites including ourselves voluntarily abstain from playing to allow the average Joe a chance to win. The spirit of Atari Trivia Night is to foster the love of Atari gaming among regular fans and newcomers wishing to embrace the hobby.

V.) QUESTIONS?

We want this to be a fun way to celebrate Halloween and kick off the Fall season! If you have any questions about how to play, just ask below! 

Good luck, everyone!

- The Professor

RetroVideoGameNerd - It will be a blast! Because of friends like you and others in the forums. We wanted to get everybody together to celebrate Halloween and do something interesting and fun. I think Trivia & Prizes are two things that are long overdue in the Atari world. I'm so glad you'll be attending! This could be a good way for you to get a 2600. Good luck!

is it the first person to send you the correct answer thru the PM gets the points?  or does every correct answer get the points (then overall point leader wins)?

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Hi Arenafoot -

Everybody gets points when they submit correct answers through the PM. Only at the end of each round do you submit your answers - a list of the 5 questions from that round. Everybody's correct answer will count towards their high score. (Just like Trivia Night in a bar) The person with the highest cumulative score at the end of the game wins 1st Place.

Only should there be a tie would there be a tie breaker - a sudden death question with answers posted live in the chat, in which case the first person to post the correct answer would win. That is only if there is a tied score however.

CONGRATULATIONS to Forums members ARENAFOOT and RICKR, our 1st + 2nd Place Live Chat Atari Trivia WINNERS!

Arenafoot won in a tiebreaker and takes home a fully refurbished "Vader" Atari 2600 (black as midnight on a moonless night) with new Joystick, Haunted House w/ instructions, and MIB Ms. Pac-Man (for chasing ghosts)

RickR came in a close 2nd and receives a $10 store credit towards any purchase at http://www.AtariSales.com/!

10422401_798971053479714_783404787705874

was there a chat last weds feb 4th? I didn't see any post on twitter or facebook

also I was thinking of adding the weds night chats to my Atari chat list on my website and the jaguar comunity united yahoo group.

it will hep get more people to chat and to this website

AVC Online:atari-video.club

VGS website: http://videogamesummit.net

@Dan, there was a chat last Wednesday, although we didn't have trivia. We posted to Facebook but usually take the post down later in the night after chat is over as not to confuse people the next day. We'll have chat again this week as well as a trivia contest! You're more than welcome to post on your website and the Jag community, we'd love to have more members join us 

:thumbsup:

Hey everyone!! I will be giving away a Dungeons and Dragons Set 3 Companion set in chat tomorrow night at 8:30 MT!!! It'll be a trivia thing, both books are in VG condition, a little wear on the covers, all pages are smooth with no writing on them. These would get $30 easy on ebay, I offer them for free, just please share this place if you can! I may also give away some D & D Choose Your Own Adventure books if there's a good turnout!

"Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime."

Archived