Your first game for your first game system?

Yo-Yo

Not counting the pack-in game, what was the first video game you were excited to get for your first game system?

Mine was Food Fight. I played the arcade game and it was pure awesome. After too many trips to the arcade and playing it on the 7800 at a friend's house it was time for me to get a 7800 of my very own. I saved up my pennies and bought one at K&K Toys which later became Kay-Bee. I bought the 7800 which came with Pole Position 2, plus I bought Food Fight, Galaga, and Missile Command for the 2600. Food Fight was one of my favorite games even through the Nintendo craze.

Same as VG for me: 2600 and Space Invaders. I still love that game.

Food Fight on the 7800 is pure awesome. I agree with you there.

And Space Battle (that's what you meant, right?) is my favorite Intellivision game.

That is what I meant, yes! :)

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

Not counting the pack-in game, what was the first video game you were excited to get for your first game system?

Mine was Food Fight. I played the arcade game and it was pure awesome. After too many trips to the arcade and playing it on the 7800 at a friend's house it was time for me to get a 7800 of my very own. I saved up my pennies and bought one at K&K Toys which later became Kay-Bee. I bought the 7800 which came with Pole Position 2, plus I bought Food Fight, Galaga, and Missile Command for the 2600. Food Fight was one of my favorite games even through the Nintendo craze.

Why haven't I heard you stories on the Atari 7800 Game By Game Podcast!?!?!

(unless I have and didn't know it was you :) )

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Pitfall! I was super excited to find it at a garage sale after I got my 7800.

I was also really stoked to get the 7800 versions of Rampage and Double Dragon when they announced them.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Pitfall! I was super excited to find it at a garage sale after I got my 7800.

I was also really stoked to get the 7800 versions of Rampage and Double Dragon when they announced them.

Pitfall! remains to be one of my favorite games of all time for any system.  One day we should all commit to doing a top 10 thread. ;)

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

Pitfall! remains to be one of my favorite games of all time for any system.  One day we should all commit to doing a top 10 thread. ;)

I'll do a top ten 2600 list once I review all the games I own ;)

First game for my first "console" (not counting Microvision) would have been Berzerk for my Vectrex. The most excited game to get would have been Spike (along with Scramble, Cosmic Chasm, & Fortress of Narzod) that I found at Lionel Playworld for $4.99 each.

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

My Atari 2600 was gifted to me along with a few less-popular titles that were on sale at the time, but turned out to be incredibly fun.

- Maze Craze: which had an AI that would chase you while you made it out of the long, blocky serpentine randomly-generated mazes. Had lotsa options.

- Night Driver: Which was a surpringly good driving simulation. Very basic graphics (obviously) but swift paddle controller action. EVERY adult relative tried it during the holiday visits and enjoyed its cleverness. Made me feel proud of my new system.

eh...something else I forget right now. I'll get back to it later, when i have more time.

Didn't get Space Invaders until a week later (the omission under the tree was less than subtly noticed from my part).

And the rest came in shortly thereafter.

And through it all, we played Combat until we just...couldn't...do it...anymore.

My Atari 2600 was gifted to me along with a few less-popular titles that were on sale at the time, but turned out to be incredibly fun.

- Maze Craze: which had an AI that would chase you while you made it out of the long, blocky serpentine randomly-generated mazes. Had lotsa options.

- Night Driver: Which was a surpringly good driving simulation. Very basic graphics (obviously) but swift paddle controller action. EVERY adult relative tried it during the holiday visits and enjoyed its cleverness. Made me feel proud of my new system.

eh...something else I forget right now. I'll get back to it later, when i have more time.

Didn't get Space Invaders until a week later (the omission under the tree was less than subtly noticed from my part).

And the rest came in shortly thereafter.

And through it all, we played Combat until we just...couldn't...do it...anymore.

I had a friend who had Night Driver (among others).  We used to turn out all the lights, and I brought over my KISS albums and we'd crank those and play Night Driver in the dark.  

His mom enjoyed a bit of vino and slept pretty hard! ;)

Archived