Trying ChimeraOS in PC-MODE

Sabertooth

23 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

I've personally found Windows to be too resource intensive for Steam on the VCS. Many games that launch and play well in ChimeraOS have performance issues in Windows. On the flipside, not all Windows games work using Proton.  I'm tempted to try AtlasOS for greater compatibility.

Obviously I've been getting games from the VCS store, but I also use GOG as it's DRM-free.  My first preference is Linux games, if not I tend to try older Windows games especially if they're on sale.  I don't have Proton on my Linux installs but I use PlayOnLinux to setup WINE and it mostly works, I've had a couple of things not work and I was able to get refunds on those.

5 hours ago, THX-1138 said:

Obviously I've been getting games from the VCS store, but I also use GOG as it's DRM-free.  My first preference is Linux games, if not I tend to try older Windows games especially if they're on sale.  I don't have Proton on my Linux installs but I use PlayOnLinux to setup WINE and it mostly works, I've had a couple of things not work and I was able to get refunds on those.

Just curious, what is the best way to play games from GOG on Linux?  I'm seriously considering switching from Windows to Linu Mint on my gaming/daily driver PC.

On 6/26/2024 at 9:29 PM, MistaMaddog said:

Just curious, what is the best way to play games from GOG on Linux?  I'm seriously considering switching from Windows to Linu Mint on my gaming/daily driver PC.

Probably the best way is to buy Linux compatible games, GOG has a good selection.  Second preference is Windows games - but I'm usually cautious not to get things too new or intensive, I've had a good degree of success with PlayOnLinux which can be installed from the software manager on Mint.   PlayOnLinux just simplifies setting up WINE, windows components and installing the games.  There may be newer and better ways of doing it, but I've done it this way for many, many years now.