Remember when Raspberry Pi's were cheap?

One of the things I liked about the RPi's in the past was how cheap they were.  You could pick up a few for dedicated projects or whatever without even thinking, but now... not so much.  The latest <<<Raspberry Pi 5 from Canakit>>> is not exactly cheap, because a new more power power supply is needed and of course you'll probably want a case as well.  It looks like they are trying to hit a low end desktop market normally populated by the inexpensive Chromebook type users.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

*Wow* $80 just for the board? IIRC I paid $30 or $35 for my Pi 3+ board when it first came out at our local Micro Center. I added a clear case and a couple of other things. It runs Stella and for a while, was my main way to emulate Stella. 

Hmm, I need to dig it out and update the release of Stella that’s on it.🤔

Edited by sramirez2008

I remember when they were cheap ($35) but thanks to the Damndemic (my word) I was lucky to get a Pi4 kit for $100 to use as a secondary PC for remote work in my bedroom.  I have a daily drive PC but it's in an open room and not ideal for web cam stuff, so the Pi served me well during my online classes.  Then the Pis dried up all the sudden...

Later I picked up an Atari Retro Pi case for my birthday and made my Pi boot from USB flash drives to simulate the VCS's PC Mode.  So I can use the same Pi for different functions depending on what distro I boot up with...Rasbian, Ubuntu, RetroPi and even BeePi to use as an Atari FreeMint computer!

RPi_Atari_3.jpg

5 hours ago, MistaMaddog said:

I remember when they were cheap ($35) but thanks to the Damndemic (my word) I was lucky to get a Pi4 kit for $100 to use as a secondary PC for remote work in my bedroom.  I have a daily drive PC but it's in an open room and not ideal for web cam stuff, so the Pi served me well during my online classes.  Then the Pis dried up all the sudden...

Later I picked up an Atari Retro Pi case for my birthday and made my Pi boot from USB flash drives to simulate the VCS's PC Mode.  So I can use the same Pi for different functions depending on what distro I boot up with...Rasbian, Ubuntu, RetroPi and even BeePi to use as an Atari FreeMint computer!

RPi_Atari_3.jpg

Dude!  I love that case! 💗

<<< My YouTube Page >>>