Remember GEOS for the Apple II series of computers?

Back in the day, GEOS competed with other Apple II graphical user interfaces such as Apple II Desktop and Catalyst.  GEOS was developed by Berkeley Softworks, who also made versions for other 8-bit computers - i.e. Commodore 64 and Commodore 128.

Brian Dougherty, the founder of Berkeley Softworks, will be engaging with fans over Zoom.  He'll be interviewed by Toronto-based UI Designer Lucas Gramajo.

Mark your calendars:

Date:  Thursday, April 18, 2024.

Time:  7:30PM ET.  (Toronto, Canada).

Zoom details:  https://www.tpug.ca

If you can't attend the Zoom session, the organizer will also be uploading a recording to YouTube for later viewing.  Just subscribe here:  https://www.youtube.com/@TorontoPETUsersGroup

4 minutes ago, RickR said:

I'm pretty sure I owned a copy of Atari GEOS back in the day.  Maybe it was some other graphical interface.  But I'm pretty sure it was GEOS.  I still have the disks somewhere. 

It couldn't have been Atari GEOS, because Berkeley Softworks didn't develop a version for 8-bit Atari in the 1980's.

However, there was an unofficial 8-bit Atari port released for fun just a couple of years ago!

Yeah, I'm sure it is something similar, but I can't remember the name of what I had.  I'll try to find time to go find those disks. 

It was very similar to GEOS, as I know it included a really nice word processor, a spreadsheet, etc in addition to the sweet graphical user interface.

23 hours ago, RickR said:

I'm pretty sure I owned a copy of Atari GEOS back in the day.  Maybe it was some other graphical interface.  But I'm pretty sure it was GEOS.  I still have the disks somewhere. 

Maybe it's DiamondOS since that's the only Atari 8-bit GUI I know of, it came on a cart and had DiamondPaint & DiamondWrite as available apps.

39 minutes ago, MistaMaddog said:

Maybe it's DiamondOS since that's the only Atari 8-bit GUI I know of, it came on a cart and had DiamondPaint & DiamondWrite as available apps.

I cannot find the disks.  I know it wasn't cartridge based.  Maybe it was GOS.  In any case, I think I need a memory upgrade for my brain. 

3 hours ago, RickR said:

I cannot find the disks.  I know it wasn't cartridge based.  Maybe it was GOS.  In any case, I think I need a memory upgrade for my brain. 

Don't sweat it, you're not alone.  Most of us who were enjoying computers back in the 80's are now old enough to benefit from a similar upgrade!

7 hours ago, RickR said:

Yeah, I think that was the other one...didn't know if it was released or not.

(I just go by what I've read in magazines, wishing I could get the cool stuff...) :)