Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Atari 5200 Console, Game Cart and Controller Patent Drawings

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 627 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 01:49 PM

*thanks to Ballblazer for the addition of the console diagrams!*

Figure this may be of interest to some and while I couldn't find the main 5200 console design itself, I did find the controllers and game carts - which I must add are probably one of my favorite carts ever designed/made. Really love the look of the 5200 carts, just a shame the console failed the way it did because the system itself is great.

Regan Cheng designed the 5200 Carts:

Atari_5200_Cartridge_Patent.jpg

and Roy Nishi created the 5200's joystick that everyone dislikes so much. It's cool from a design standpoint just performs poorly from a functionality standpoint which is one of the form over function cases regarding design.

post-181-0-61026000-1464284522.png

• RickR, StormSurge, Chris++ and 1 other like this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#2 Ballblaɀer

Ballblaɀer

Defender

• 465 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:25 PM

I also love the way the 5200 cartridges look, I just wish the ridges on the edges weren't so prone to collecting dust/dirt.  Huge thumbs up for the overlay holders on the back side!

The console is another Regan Cheng creation:

Atari_5200_Patent_1.jpg

Atari_5200_Patent_2.jpg

Atari_5200_Patent_3.jpg

Atari_5200_Patent_4.jpg

• RickR, Arenafoot, Clint Thompson and 1 other like this

#3 Ballblaɀer

Ballblaɀer

Defender

• 465 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:52 PM

I just uploaded the full patent for the 5200 joystick to an imgur album.  If you want to see and read about all 146 named parts in the "Description of the Preferred Embodiment", have at it!  There might be a quiz tomorrow...  :D

• Clint Thompson likes this

#4 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 627 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:39 PM

I just uploaded the full patent for the 5200 joystick to an imgur album.  If you want to see and read about all 146 named parts in the "Description of the Preferred Embodiment", have at it!  There might be a quiz tomorrow...  :D

Wow, talk about being thorough! They were really on it with this one, Atari that is! Thanks for the uploads, tons of nice shots!

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#5 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,360 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:39 AM

I agree with you that the design of the 5200 carts is pretty cool.  My only disappointment with the 5200 cartridges is that they forgot to add an end label.  They had achieved perfection the first time with the 2600 cart design (a rare thing to get it right the first time), and then messed it up on the computer and 5200 carts.  It just seems like a visit to any Atari customer home would have shown that most people store their cartridges on end with the label showing.  Know thy customer!

In any case, these docs are pretty sweet to look at. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users