Atari 5200 Console, Game Cart and Controller Patent Drawings

*thanks to Ballblazer for the addition of the console diagrams!*

Figure this may be of interest to some and while I couldn't find the main 5200 console design itself, I did find the controllers and game carts - which I must add are probably one of my favorite carts ever designed/made. Really love the look of the 5200 carts, just a shame the console failed the way it did because the system itself is great.

Regan Cheng designed the 5200 Carts:

post-1-0-77986300-1464293780_thumb.jpg

and Roy Nishi created the 5200's joystick that everyone dislikes so much. It's cool from a design standpoint just performs poorly from a functionality standpoint which is one of the form over function cases regarding design.

post-1-0-43949600-1464293799_thumb.png

7800 - 130XE - XEGS - Lynx - Jaguar - ISO: Atari Falcon030 | STBook |STe

I just uploaded the full patent for the 5200 joystick to an imgur album.  If you want to see and read about all 146 named parts in the "Description of the Preferred Embodiment", have at it!  There might be a quiz tomorrow...  :D

Wow, talk about being thorough! They were really on it with this one, Atari that is! Thanks for the uploads, tons of nice shots!

7800 - 130XE - XEGS - Lynx - Jaguar - ISO: Atari Falcon030 | STBook |STe

I agree with you that the design of the 5200 carts is pretty cool.  My only disappointment with the 5200 cartridges is that they forgot to add an end label.  They had achieved perfection the first time with the 2600 cart design (a rare thing to get it right the first time), and then messed it up on the computer and 5200 carts.  It just seems like a visit to any Atari customer home would have shown that most people store their cartridges on end with the label showing.  Know thy customer!

In any case, these docs are pretty sweet to look at. 

Archived