Atari Jaguar dev kit before the Alpine?

walter_J64bit

On 12/23/2023 at 3:51 AM, walter_J64bit said:

Was there a dev kit before the Alpine? What was Cybermorph developed on?

i remember a argument with sam about what type of computer they were going to use once jag programming kicked into high gear. the programmers refused sams offer of tt030 with 144 megs of ram, and demanded peecee's. of course emulation, which had to be ironed out later in debugging.

but cybermorph was before that, and for the panther. so most likely tt030's.

there were co-processors in the panther, i even have the development paper work and a actual panther. but never got deep into it because why!

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
22735 Congo St. NE, Stacy, MN 55079
651-462-2500

21 hours ago, Video 61 said:

i remember a argument with sam about what type of computer they were going to use once jag programming kicked into high gear. the programmers refused sams offer of tt030 with 144 megs of ram, and demanded peecee's. of course emulation, which had to be ironed out later in debugging.

but cybermorph was before that, and for the panther. so most likely tt030's.

there were co-processors in the panther, i even have the development paper work and a actual panther. but never got deep into it because why!

lance

www.atarisales.com

I read about that other Jag programmers refused the Atari TT030's they wanted PC's.

Edited by walter_J64bit

Atari had stopped the Panther around mid 1991. Work on Cybermorph started around mid 1992, according to the devs. It would be very surprising to me if this had ever been intended for the Panther. Chris Gibb explained that they had 12 weeks to put the Jaguar (in its state back then) through its paces before the design of the game shaped up to the direction that we know now. Interesting interview with the devs in EDGE magazine 2/1994, pp. 42-43. Don't think the dev system was mentioned there, but look it up and take a peek yourself.

The machine ATD used at the first Jag press conference to showcase Cybermorph did not look like an TT at all, but who knows, maybe it was one, stuffed in a PC case. You'll find that video on Youtube.

Edited by Boris