Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Shamus - Perhaps my favorite Berzerk clone?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:46 PM

I had this on the Vic-20, and it made my other games look almost silly considering how polished it was.   I just remember friends coming over just because they loved Shamus.

Anyone else have some experience with this game?

• The Professor, MaximumRD, RickR and 3 others like this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#2 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,707 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:50 PM

YES!  Me! 

I also  had the VIC-20 version (still have it) and loved it to death.  What's interesting is...the other versions of the game on other systems are just OK to me.  The VIC-20 version had it all.  Great music, the animated walls, no flicker, tight controls.  It is, IMO, the very best version of Shamus. 

• Rowsdower70 and Lost Dragon like this

#3 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 04:24 PM

Yeah, the music grabbed me right off, and like you said it just played perfect.    Maybe reason enough to own a Vic-20!

• Lost Dragon likes this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#4 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,707 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 04:26 PM

I just ordered a menu-driven multi-cart for VIC-20.  Very very excited to get that and play the games on that machine.  It's a step above the Atari 2600 game-wise. 

• Rowsdower70 and Lost Dragon like this

#5 Atari Adventure Square

Atari Adventure Square

Orange Member

• 267 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:48 PM

Indeed, the VIC-20 felt like the very next evolutionary step after the 2600 experience.

Didn't get a chance to play Shamus for the short time I had one, but the title popped up in top rankings for games for this computer.

Sometimes wish that time could actually be wibbly-wobbly and allow to relive an era, trying out different systems, all the games, TV movies of the week, popcorn.

What am I saying? We can do that right now!

• RickR, Rowsdower70 and Lost Dragon like this

#6 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,707 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:55 PM

It *is* kind of fun to imagine it was the 80's again while sitting in the middle of an awesome middle-aged collection.  Just think what all your buds back then would think if you had all these games and systems back then.  Hooo-baby, you'd be KING of the Cul-de-sac for sure. 

• MaximumRD, Atari Adventure Square, Rowsdower70 and 2 others like this

#7 - Ω -

- Ω -

Strawberry Member

• 94 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:05 AM

Shamus (for the TI-99/4A) is one of my favorite "Top 10" games as well.  Sadly there is no Berzerk for the TI-99/4A.  :(

Would anyone be interested it a special "Atari.io" branded video of the TI version?

• The Professor, RickR, Rowsdower70 and 1 other like this

--- Ω ---

#8 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:57 AM

I'd love to see the TI version :)

• - Ω - and Lost Dragon like this

#9 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,707 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:07 AM

I have the ti version on a multicast, and it is great. A video would be awesome.
  • Rowsdower70, - Ω - and Lost Dragon like this

#10 - Ω -

- Ω -

Strawberry Member

• 94 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:02 PM

I'd love to see the TI version :)

I have the ti version on a multicast, and it is great. A video would be awesome.

All right then, I'll add this to my "To do" list and hopefully I'll have something to post by Sunday morning.

• RickR, Rowsdower70 and Lost Dragon like this

--- Ω ---

#11 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,167 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:59 PM

Of course I didn't (and still don't) have a Commodore computer. I have the Radio Shack Color Computer 2 and the closest game to that (I have) is Temple of Rom........

Its a cross between Berzerk and INTV's ADD but with horrible shooting! 

• Rowsdower70, - Ω - and Lost Dragon like this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#12 - Ω -

- Ω -

Strawberry Member

• 94 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:00 AM

Okay, sorry it took so long, but here is what Shamus looks like on the TI-99/4A!

• The Professor, MaximumRD, RickR and 2 others like this

--- Ω ---

#13 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:51 AM

That's great stuff, thank you!

• - Ω - and Lost Dragon like this

#14 - Ω -

- Ω -

Strawberry Member

• 94 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:28 PM

That's great stuff, thank you!

Thanks!  It's nice to get some feedback.  

--- Ω ---

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users