Mark Hammill's Face

RickR

I'll bet we've all heard this story:  That Mark Hammill's face got messed up in a car crash after filming Star Wars.  So much so that they added the Wampa scene at the beginning of The Empire Strikes Back to help explain it.  But is it really true?  Interesting article here about it:  https://www.ranker.com/list/the-story-behind-mark-hamills-face/zack-howe?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=comicspost&utm_campaign=Mark_Hamills_Face_IMAGE

I've watched the original trilogy dozens (or more) times...and in retrospect, does Mark Hammill really look any different (other than just older)?  Probably not. My feeling is that even the slightest blemish was a really big deal for Hollywood actors, so they made a big fuss about it.  So I'd call it true, but probably overblown and unnecessary.  What do you think?

It makes me feel bad. I'm not a huge Star Wars buff. I watched the holiday special for the first time a couple of weeks ago and live-commented on it on Facebook. When Luke made his first appearance, the way his face looked was beyond odd. I commented something like, "This was filmed five minutes after Mark Hamill first discovered cocaine!" Then I listened to the SWHS episode of Holiday Special Podcast, and that's how I learned about the accident and that as a result he was in heavy makeup.

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.