Do you find that sometimes the older less sophisticated things work the best (for you)?

A few years ago I was able to get 4A DOS programmed into an autobooting cartridge that bypassed the TI's menu screen.  Since that time another DOS was developed for the TI that does a lot of things that I don't really need or use that works well with the FinalGROM, but I've found the older cartridge shown below "works for me".  As I've gotten older the old saying, "If you don't use it, you lose it" seems to apply, and quite frankly I detest having to screw around with updates and "new" versions.  When I want to use my TI, I just want to turn it on and go.

Cart.gif.5070fb0fbd85d653d45f5bb47f64e53b.gif

So, this begs the question, am I the only TI'er of advancing age that now preferers simplicity in their old age?

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

I'm going to word this a little differently, as I have a similar feeling but a slightly different perspective.

For some of these vintage machines, I like to experience them "as they were".  What was it like to use them back in 1982?  I try to recreate that as much as possible.  It doesn't mean I need a tube TV or an SD cart solution.  A nice composite cable, upgraded joystick, and multicart are super convenient.  They make the experience easier and more pleasant. 

At the same time, learning new things keeps the mind engaged and working.  But I use that gray-matter in other ways - like on upgrading a modern PC and playing modern games with my kids.  And in constant training and learning in my work, which is a field that involves constant change.

12 hours ago, RobertLM78 said:

ForceCOMMAND seems a bit clunky to me, and it stomped a couple images on my nanoPEB, so I like to use 4A DOS when i want a command line experience on my TI 🙂

It's too bad the 4A/DOS autobooting cartridge was not available back in the day, because the BBS systems running on a TI could have been "power proof".  As soon as the power comes on, the cartridge loads the batch file and executes whatever commands it finds.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

19 hours ago, - Ω - said:

I actually made a video six years ago in the pre-ForceCOMMAND era on that cartridge.

Cool I'll check it out B)

19 hours ago, - Ω - said:

Please don't laugh too hard at the video, it's a little dated

Meh - this ain't the 90s - who laughs like that any more 😄

Cheering vestry jolt now!  100%