Asteroids Surprise

Atari 5200 Guy

Simply Wow!  I was taking a very short break from Gravitar and figured I would play a bit of Asteroids.  Those older-style boxes before the silver boxes are a bit more difficult to open without damaging the boxes.  At least I have never figured out how to open those without tearing a bit of the box in some way.  Rest assured, the box is still in one piece and only torn where it cannot be seen once it is closed again.  But I found something interesting, to me anyway, on the inside.  

One of my favorite parts of getting games that are still new in the box has been for the documentation inside.  You never know what you might find.  A few 5200 games I picked up had posters showing games out and soon to be released and one of my 2600 games (Centipede) had a mini DC comic book.  Asteroids for the 2600 had a 45 Game Program Catalog (red version) sitting there just waiting to be read.  There was also a piece of paper that was pretty much detailing the differences between the arcade and 2600 versions of Asteroids saying that the 2600 version was "...very similar to the famous ATARI coin-operated ASTEROIDS game...".

So...siting there from at least 1981 inside a box that someone put there was a catalog which I'd been wanting to hunt down for history reasons.  I'm now getting to experience things with the 2600 that others did back when the 2600 was the king console.  I believe I will be seriously collecting for the console now to see what else I can find.  I plan to open every new-in-box game I come across, too...after I buy them of course.  

Those older-style boxes before the silver boxes are a bit more difficult to open without damaging the boxes.  At least I have never figured out how to open those without tearing a bit of the box in some way. 

A heat gun or blow dryer to warm up the glue first  :nintendo_mario_whistle:

Archived