How Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry’s words were freed from old floppy disks

Museum Matt

Now this is cool...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3018315/storage/star-trek-creators-lost-words-recovered-from-old-floppies.html

How Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry’s words were freed from old floppy disks

When Gene Roddenberry's computer died, it took with it the only method of accessing some 200 floppy disks of his unpublished work. Here's how this tech mystery was solved.

post-8-0-31962200-1451925979.jpg

[Via] PC World

I'm gonna go out on a limb here....I know that I myself...a collector with limited resources....have an old MS-DOS machine with a working floppy drive.  I know others with vintage CP/M machines that still work fine.  Seems to me they could have reached out to the vintage community and recovered Gene's data much quicker. 

I know, I know.  Nitpicking.  Probably much safer to do it the way they did.  And more confidential. 

It's a cool story, thank you for sharing it!  It sure would be interesting to know what they found on those disks. 

This story was made more dramatic then it definitely needed to be. You can see that they did indeed have some sort of recovery means. I think the company was going to milk that gravy train. I mean there are tons of digital media conversion programs out there. You have to make it sound harder than it really is in order to keep them coming.

Archived